1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reggie Bush is further screwed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wow. He and stepdaddy just aren't very smart.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-bush27jan27,1,3944703.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

My favorite part is that the dude who plans to cooperate fully with investigators and who got the ball rolling initially is a convicted drug offender. REAL wise to enter in business with him involved.

If this continues, and the worst scenarios come true, USC will lose wins in 2004 and 2005. And then we'll find out what the BCS does in situations like this.

2. Garner

Garner Member

So can we begin calling Vince Young the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So how is Reggie Bush screwed?

Reggie is already in the NF League and getting his millions.

USC's the one that will be screwed, believe me.

Pete Carroll, the white courtesy phone please. Some rough-voiced guy with an Arkie accent named Jerry is calling for you ....

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

How do you strip a mythical national championship?[/beatdeadhorse]

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yeah, so I'm failing to see how Reg is screwed.
    Has Subway or any of his other dozens of sponsors abandoned him? Are the Saints gonna pull his paychecks.
    Maybe he loses the Heisman. But if he loses his over his family living in a nice crib and OJ gets to keep his despite, well, you know, it's kind of a joke anyway.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nothing is going to happen to Reggie Bush. Precious little is going to happen to USC. Wait and see.
    NCAA rules violations are like campaign finance violations. The public assumes all pols/schools are crooks, and therefore doesn't give a damn.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree completely. The NCAA isn't about to embarrass itself by stripping Heismans or national titles. At worst, Southern Cal loses a few scholarships...

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here's a question: Should it come to that, who, exactly, would be responsible for forcing Bush to give up his Heisman Trophy? The NCAA didn't give him that award, the Downtown Athletic Club did. Sure, the NCAA can pressure the DAC to do what it wants done, and the DAC, I would think, would not want its highest-profile project sullied. But I don't see how the NCAA can go straight to Bush and say hand it over. And the national championship is almost the same thing. The NCAA doesn't administer it.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The NCAA wouldn't strip him of either the title or the Heisman. The BCS would be the group that would take the title and the Downtown Athletic Club (I believe, or whichever organization awards the Heisman) would be the group that would take the Heisman away.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

The idea that Bush could be stripped of his Heisman is totally absurd. The DAC never has and never will take back anyone's Heisman.
    And to retroactively punish USC at this point is just plain stupid. Carroll and the school had nothing to do with this. If you want to use the bullshit institutional control issue, fine, take away a few scholarships for the next couple of years.
    Basically, at this point, this is a whole lot a bullshit amounting to nothing except greed on the part of Bush's stepfather and stupidity on Bush's part.

11. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Perhaps, but there's precedent for it. The NCAA could decide to make an example of USC, but the more likely scenario is that it incurs a slap on the wrist (few scholarships). I doubt they'd even make them bowl ineligible, again unless they're looking to make an example of someone.

I've never really understood retroactive punishment either. Seems like it punishes the wrong group of people. I'm not sure what the better solution is, but punishing people for something tha happened before they arrived at school doesn't seem fair. Then, because of bowl ineligibility, they may have to transfer to another school, delaying their pro prospects and just generally fucking up their lives. Doesn't seem right.

12. Mark Geragos, white courtesy phone, please. Mark Geragos...

Draft saved Draft deleted