1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reggie Bush ain't looking too clean

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

If you want to lobby for the rules to be changed, then lobby for that. But as long as they are in the books, you have to follow them. It's a shitty system. It's hypocritical as hell. But saying that "Wooden's team did it, too!" doesn't redeem Reggie Bush.

2. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Question for those who would know how these things work: The NCAA could punish USC in the future, of course, but can it do anything about USC's achievements while Bush was there? I'm guessing that if he's found to have been ineligible, all or most of USC's victories in 2004 -- depending on when this all began -- and all of the victories in 2005 could turn into losses. But it can't take away the '04 national championship, because there is no NCAA national championship. Would AP or the BCS do anything, or the Orange Bowl?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I shudder to imagine what happens when COCKDIAN and his brofo get together to watch Michigan vs. OSU. That is, if either of them has a license and can reach another destination.

4. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

This must be said ... that was some damn fine reporting done by Cole and Robinson.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Could USC sue Reggie Bush if it gets hit hard by the NCAA?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't redeem Bush. He knew the rules. He knew he was breaking them. And I'm sure taking care of his family--which was living in poverty, while he saw everyone else around him making money off his talent--was more important to him than the rules. He made his choice.

I also think a lot of people would fall on the Whtilock side of this that says, "Can you blame him?"

The system is so shitty and so hypocritical and so rife with cheaters that its a giant farce. The things Bush was guilty of were: 1) being a big name, and 2) taking so much money that he left a long paper trail. He's hardly alone, though. Hang around any decent DI program and you see scummy-looking agents, with former players as their runners, working the corners like cockroaches. Most of the time they are doing it with a "wink wink" from the head coach. Pete Carroll not only knew what was going on, he endorsed it. Just about every coach does. Why would he be different?

There is cheating and there is cheating. Who exactly did Reggie Bush cheat? He went out and performed fairly and cleanly every Saturday. He didn't cheat the game. The NCAA and its schools ring up millions of dollars off the talents of kids who aren't allowed to see a penny. Aren't they cheating those kids, more than a kid who tries to get his is cheating them?

None of this "excuses" Bush. But I'd bet Bush could give a shit. He probably doesn't want to be excused for taking care of his family. He'd probably do the same things all over again, even if it does make him a rule breaker.

If anything, Reggie Bush isn't a punk, like some young athletes. He never seemed to me to have an air of entitlement. He was just incredibly serious, in a pretty mature way. He took care of his business on the field, kept his nose clean off the field, and cultivated a clean cut image because he knew that was going to net him tons of endorsements.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wow, the details are tremendous.

Now ... are they accurate?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The only real way USC could sue Bush is if the NCAA forced it to return bowl and TV money for this... Otherwise, what financial damages could they show?
    Michigan didnt sue Chris Webber, et.al.....

9. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

It looks like they provided excellent detail about the $100,000 that was previously reported by ESPN - the link is below from April.
    Props to them for getting that detail. Nice work. I'm sure SC will love the distraction.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2426429

10. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

By the way, if you're a site like Yahoo.com, and you want to be serious about being recognizable and important, hiring serious reporters is the way to do it. Who would've ever read Yahoosports before this?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That is a brilliant question. Assuming USC is hammered and has to forfeit all those games, does the BCS have the gonads to take away the Trojans' title? Or do they just ignore it and say it's not our job?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The BCS gurus would have them vacate the title, lest they have to explain why an 0-12 team is a national champion...

Draft saved Draft deleted