1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Refute

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I see this word used a lot on this site, especially on the political threads. Usually it's used incorrectly. Until recently I did the same, but a copy editor pointed out my mistake. Unless it's clear someone proved an allegation to be false -- with supporting documents or infallible witnesses -- refute or refuted are not the right words.

From the AP Stylebook:

rebut, refute Rebut means to argue to the contrary: He rebutted his opponent’s statement.
    Refute connotes success in argument and almost always implies an editorial judgment. Instead, use deny, dispute, rebut or respond to.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think there are those who believe they are refuting those arguing against them when they provide links to back up their argument or debunk anothers.

Sometimes they do, and sometimes not.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Are you inferring that professional journalists don't know proper word-usage rules?

Draft saved Draft deleted