1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Refs settle field vs. press box debate ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Nov 18, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

by kicking media off field.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Referees-kick-all-media-off-sidelines-refuse-to?urn=highschool-wp8718&active_dimension=carousel_highschool_top_headlines&ysp_frm_woah=1

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about that community or station, but should that really have been "the big story" for the broadcast? It sounds more like people whining than anything else. The could have shot video from the stands, but instead decided to bitch.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Seems to me the officials are within their rights to remove folks from the sideline if there is a space/crowding issue. If the chain gang or officials can't get up and down the sidelines they do have the power to clear that space.

But if that was the case you'd think they'd remove everybody but the two teams.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

New rules restrict anyone from being within two yards of the field after the ready for play. No one is allowed in the team box.

What we have run into is the hangers on trying to "coach" from outside the team box. If a "coach" is outside that team box during play, that's a penalty. Basically, we've come close to getting rid of everyone, but usually, we tell the head coach to take care of it, they send someone to kick them off the field, and it's solve.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If I see a local newscast talk about high school sports, I'll change the channel.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And even 2 yards isn't enough, frankly. And I say this as a high school ref and as someone who covered games from the sideline. Get everyone 4-5 yards back.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't disagree.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If I see a local newscast talk about pro sports, I change the channel.
    But I don't see how a HS story that's not really a story leads a 11 p.m. news.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Agreed. And agreed.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

that story as the lead is the result of the crew covering that game letting emotions in and saying "I'm pissed off, but oh look, I have a way to voice my displeasure to a lot of people. suck it, ref."
    The folks at home don't need to know the ref screwed you over. It can go in the blog, not in the broadcast. I have been in these situations before where someone put restrictions on me doing my job. I complained to their face. Voiced my displeasure. Then went about my job. Deadline comes whether you're done yelling at the principal or not.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We have the wisdom of spnited to guide us: "We are not the story. We are the storytellers."

Draft saved Draft deleted