1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Refrigerator help/question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 8, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So my fridge, for some inexplicable reason, has decided not to cool off.
    But the freezer works fine and it was my understanding that it was the freezer that cooled off the fridge. So why in God's name is my fridge not cooling off?
    And I did all the suggested home remedies with the vacumn cleaner, I cleaned the fridge out, defrosted it. Did everything I know and still nothing.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. KG

KG Active Member

Can you see the coils?

3. JayFarrar

No. The fridge has a metal plate screwed on the back.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe the freezer and fridge have different cooling elements. Sounds like it's time to call the landlord.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I'm not sure if you defrosted the whole thing, but the coils in the back can freeze up even if everything looks ok inside the unit. Maybe try removing the back plate and see if they appear to be frozen.

I googled it and had several things about a defrost timer pop up.

6. JayFarrar

Because of the frost buildup in the freezer, my suspicion is that it has caused a blockage of the cool air as it tries to get to the fridge.
    I also had a lightning strike close to the house recently and it may have tripped some kind of internal fuse on the fridge's compressor or some other internal part that needs electricity.
    The strike also caused the door bell to quit working. Or maybe this is what I get for living in an old ass house, things just quit working.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you own the house or do you rent?

If you own the house, there is an easy solution...don't ask us, call a repairman.
    If you rent, there is an easy solution...don't ask us, call the super or owner.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Who defrosts the refrigerator these days? When was yours built, 1960?

Time to shell out a grand for a new one.

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

a grand, piss on that. You can get a used one for much, much less

10. KG

KG Active Member

You can get a new one for much, much less if you don't have to have a side-by-side.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Could have had my old one. Of course, you would have had to truck it home from California after I left it in the apartment.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wait, first things first. Is the refrigerator running?

Then you'd better catch it!

Actually, had this problem a few months ago. Super fucked around with it, it works better now but I still hear ice cracking really loudly every so often, so it's not fixed for good. As long as it cools, though, I'll put up with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted