1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

References Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 17, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Bingo. And you know if a prospective employer is calling you to ask for references, you know said prospective employer is serious about considering you for the job.

Sometimes, one or two of the questions in an interview will clue you in about how seriously they're considering you for the job ... or something a prospective boss says to you can clue you in.

A guy scheduled an interview for me with his boss and said I could wear what I had on at the time for the interview. I was wearing a T-shirt, shorts and sandals at the time. Obviously, I opted to dress up, though that was probably my clue I was getting hired pretty much no matter what.

Another time, I was interviewing for a job at a university where my stepdad works. One of the questions they asked was whether that relationship would compromise my objectivity with the job I was interviewing for. Within a few days, I got the job offer.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

NO. NO. NO.

You NEVER tell a boss at a current job that you're looking for another job. Never. I can't emphasize that enough. In pretty much any job on Earth, that's professional suicide. If your boss is a vindictive asshole, he or she can fire you for that.

I spent a couple of minutes making this point to my full-time reporter when I saw her resume saved on our office server. Personally, I don't care if she's looking for another job because I'd like to see her career develop beyond where we are now. But I can't think of too many bosses who wouldn't be bothered at least on some level.

3. Here's one boss who isn't bothered.

I appreciate it. I do whatever I can to help the person, and it gives me a headstart on looking for a replacement.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i expected people to look to improve their lot in life so i didn't mind job searches. what i didn't like was finding out someone was lying about needing time off for a job interview.

5. Of course I was. Until yesterday when I got an offer. Now I can really focus on working hard for the next two weeks.

6. jps

jps Active Member

f_t, there definitely are asshole bosses out there. I've worked for some of them. But even then I told them that I was looking. now, you don't have to be exact in telling them what's up. you can just throw out something telling them that you have had a couple of dream jobs open up that you've sent in for. you don't need to tell them that you're actively looking to get out and that any job not where you currently work is a dream.

I am not bothered in the least to know. in fact, I've had discussions with my writers, telling them that I am willing to help them move on. I know my shop isn't the end of the road for a writer, probably. and I like my writers, so want them to succeed. one of them told me the other day he was going to be applying for a gig, and I told him to feel free to list my name as a reference .

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've always told my bosses when I was looking. None of them have ever been vindictive, and they have even offered to help.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The editor at my second paper was very helpful in getting me my third job, and he was happy to do it, even though it meant losing his best and longest-tenured reporter (he only had two reporters). He spoke about me, he said, for about 20 minutes, selling me to my next editor.

I wanted that guy on my reference list because of that reason. He and I worked very, very well together, pushing each other to a greater combined product. I knew he wouldn't sabotage my efforts to better my situation. I wanted something knew, and he didn't want to hold me back. I think any respectable editor would do the same thing he did.

If I leave my current place, I trust my new editor to do the same. And I'd make sure to tell him because I don't want to leave this sports section short-handed any longer than it needs to be.

11. jps

jps Active Member

come on, mikey ... really? you wanted something knew?

Draft saved Draft deleted