1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

References Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Applying for an SID gig. Do I go with "references available upon request" or list three right off the bat?

Thanks.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Depends.

If your references will help you get the job ... list them.

If not, you've done a poor job of making contacts.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

If they specifically ask for references upon applying for the position, list them, obviously. If they don't, I'd list "references available upon request." I received no backlash from that technique.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Yeah, just give your employer one more thing to do.

5. sblust

sblust Member

I strongly recommend listing the references on your resume. If you're going to be a legitimate candidate, your prospective employer is going to ask for references, anyway. Why make him call or send you an e-mail asking for something that he could have had already?

Make it as easy as possible for him to hire you.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd write References furnished upon request and have a separate sheet of paper with their names and contact information. And I'd be prepared to hand that sheet over at the interview if asked.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Is there enough space on your resume to allow references? If so, include them. If not, and you can't slash anything else off your resume in place of the references, write that golden line.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mikey's dead on. I always included my references on my resume because if not, I was damn close to having a half-page of white space (I've only had three jobs in the industry). If you've been doing this a long time and have like 10 jobs to list, then yeah, do a "references upon request" line.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If I know one thing, it's getting my resume ready. The college professor who taught me just about all I know in that regard is, to this day, one of the most brilliant people I've ever met on so many levels. But her strength was interviewing techniques and the psychology of both parties involved.

I think the resume format I have is second to none, and it's gotten me all the interviews and call-backs I've ever needed. I've been fortunate to take care of the rest.

If an employer really wants you, he or she won't mind making a phone call or writing an e-mail to get your references. If it means the difference between getting the guy you want or your second choice -- out of laziness -- the editor will (or should, rather) make the extra effort.

10. sblust

sblust Member

How likely do you think it is that you'll get a face-to-face interview if the prospective employer hasn't already checked references? Most face-to-face interviews are for finalists, and from my experience, not many finalists are selected without reference checks.

I still maintain that failing to include references in your initial contact with the paper doesn't help your chances of being hired.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but why require them (the editor) to make an extra effort when your job is to sell yourself?

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I hope you include everything when you actually get the job ...

"OK, guys, I filed my gamer."

"Thanks, Pete. Have a good night."

"Oh, by the way, I didn't include stats. But if you guys want them, I can make 'em available upon request."

Draft saved Draft deleted