1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Referee Magazine -- Two Editorial Openings

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt1735, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Referee Enterprises, based in Racine, WI, is the company responsible for publishing a monthly magazine and a number of books annually related to sports officiating.

The company has two job openings in its editorial department. Both positions are full-time and on-site.

Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience. Journalism or officiating association experience preferable. Salary commensurate with experience.

Associate Editor
    Responsible for editorial planning, scheduling, authoring and managing content. Will work on magazines, books, newsletters and other projects. Officiating experience required. Excellent Microsoft Office skills essential. Photography skills a plus. Occasional travel required.

Copy Editor
    Responsible for copy editing and proofreading magazine columns, features, books, newsletters and other projects. Must be able to work with dozens of freelance writers and on-site editors. The ideal hire will have a passion for the written word while transforming drafts into final copy. Knowledge of standard style guides helpful. Officiating experience preferable, but not required. Excellent Microsoft Office skills essential.

Apply in writing to: Referee Enterprises, Inc., Attn.: Employment, 2017 Lathrop Ave., Racine, Wis. 53405 or e-mail to employment@referee.com or fax 262/632-5460.

FYI: I am not the person doing the hiring, but will answer any questions that I can.
    Matt

2. I wonder if the referee magazine editors catch as much flack as referees?

This sounds interesting, but I'm still hoping to hear back from Obscure Sports Quarterly and their assistant editorship opening.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Candidates must also get there eyes examined, not miss a good game and call things both ways.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How did I know the cheap jokes were going to start on this one? ::)

Maybe it's because I always saw a few back issues around the house growing up. Maybe it's because my mother was an official for many years, particularly soccer and basketball. Dunno if this is one and the same.

Carry on.

5. satchmo

satchmo Member

Are you blind, that's a horrible comma splice. You're missing a great article, copy editor. For God's sake, let the writing on the page determine the outcome.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Nobody picks up Referee Magazine to read about ... well, actually ...

7. j27roenick

j27roenick New Member

Just curious, what is the range of pay for these positions? I played some summer ball in Racine, and I know of its dreary dankness.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Call that run-on sentence both ways!

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Does Bobby Knight or Mark Cuban write an occasional guest column?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

"Hey, Referee Magazine Associate Editor, get off your knees. You're blowing this month's edition."
    Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

11. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I think the guy who posted this is a former agate clerk and bowling aficionado from the Indy Star. Pretty good guy ... as agate clerks go.

We get the magazine at work (because they mail it for free) but it's not exactly a must read unless you wear black and white stripes for a living.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Brett is correct. I'm a former employee (much more than a clerk :)) of the Indianapolis Star. I am now an associate editor (same position as advertised) with Referee.

The hours (Monday through Thursday days, Friday half-days) and the job are better than anything I've done in the past.

If you have an interest in officiating, this is a great place to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted