1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ref: We know when we f*** up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Burbs will enjoy this, Deadspin used the word. I enjoyed this piece.

http://deadsp.in/12Av4du

2. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

good piece, but hard to have sympathy for refs when they tell players "we'll remember that for next time" and eagerly anticipate getting hecklers removed from the arena as quickly as possible.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All officiating is tough. The higher you go, the thicker the skin you have to have. I've done football, basketball and baseball and find basketball the most difficult -- on and off the court.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, with all due respect, you stupid motherfucker, yes, it was necessary to call a foul on a defender who grabs an offensive player around the waist, you stupid motherfucker (I realize I said that twice but the situation calls for it).

Assuming this quote is accurate, Lopes should have been fired instantly and banned from ever officiating a basketball game again.

Everybody wonders why the game of basketball has been turned into a bottomless pit of shit-sludge: this is why.

Grabbing players around the waist is a fucking foul no matter how, why and when it is done. (Fuck, 90% of the time it should be an INTENTIONAL foul.)

If it ends up costing you the game, tough shit. Maybe you shouldn't have grabbed the opponent around the waist, eh?

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Of the three sports mentioned here, basketball is - by far - the most difficult to officiate. I might add that ice hockey is even more difficult than basketball and I have done all four sports...

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So this is on the journalism board because Deadspin used profanity in a text-on-photo headline?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The byline mug is a tad Spicoli-esque, I thought. I guess cute is in again?

8. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

I know a college ref that worked this year's Final Four. After the Big 10 tournament he called one of the former star of Podunk High for traveling late in the game. He gets home from the tourney the next day and Podunk's ex-principal calls him at home telling him Podunk's ex-star didn't travel and he blew the call. What a jackass. Those refs earn every penny.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Karl Hess doesn't.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Baseball is tough, because calling balls and strikes isn't as easy as you'd think it is. But basketball is WAY tougher, with 10 people moving quickly and inconsistently while your old ass is trying to stay in position.

rb

12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

A really well-done piece.

I, too, was put off by the "long memory" anecdote. Each game, all participants need to start from scratch.

Draft saved Draft deleted