1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reduced SJ membership by ~1/3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Don't know that anyone will notice, but SJ just dropped from 68K registered members to 48K.

I was using Flanker to identify invalid email addresses because when SJ's email server sends emails that bounce, it makes the receiving email servers more likely to mark as spam any other emails we send. Along the way, I discovered approximately ~20,000 spam accounts, so I took the axe to them.

Yesterday I saw a spammer registered solely to post a link on their profile page... if you ever notice this, please hit the "report" button so we can clean it up.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

No, no, no. You want to inflate circulation. This is gonna kill our ad rates. [/publishers everywhere]

slappy4428 likes this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks much.

And Donnie's note made me laugh. When we first started doing video at my old paper, it was noted with glee that one of our first efforts had numerous plays in the first hour. I pointed out that most of them were me, going over and over it looking for things we could do better, etc. I was told to keep clicking and clicking, anything to make the numbers look good.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You can reduce it by another 2,000 by deleting members that did names that were plays on John D. Villarreal.

slappy4428, HC, SpeedTchr and 2 others like this.
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sadly, most folks won't know what you're talking about, Dools.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In the process, you also knocked out a lot of longtime posters who changed jobs and no longer have the email account they signed up under. No wonder traffic is down.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I no longer have the email account I signed up under and it works fine here.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'd be curious what membership would be if you eliminated every account that hasn't posted in the last 3-5 years.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Whew...glad I made it back in time.

Imagine if eliminating those accounts also nuked all their posts. That's a lot of SJ late night lore lost to the ether.

Hey, but at least ClubberSlang made that appearance a year or so ago. So he's safe.

And we'd always have what's left of freqposter.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My old one didn't work anymore, so I had to create a new one.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Is Hockeybeat's account still active? What about Monday? I'm guessing IJAG didn't completely nuke her account, at least I hope she didn't.

Some of us have posted under more than one handle over the years. That inflates the number as well.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What or who is Monday?

Draft saved Draft deleted