1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins reporter, The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hot and Rickety, Dec 8, 2017.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Longing to" does not equal "would be willing to."

If/when I get laid off, there are a number of things I'd be willing to do, none of which I long to do.

2. valpo87

valpo87 Member

Well, it's a matter of perspective. I'm certainly more than willing to take on that kind of role if other people aren't.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A lot of people are. Are they the most talented, ambitious people in journalism?

You need to be in the latter group to get hired at the Washington Post, which is one of the few places that has plenty of money to make hires. They can choose from the best and the brightest, to steal a phrase.

Do the best at the brightest want to be beat reporters for 10-plus years before getting a chance to be a columnist or feature writer?

This is the route that Simmons took. He saw what was in front of him at the Herald, and decided he wasn't interested in doing the 10 years it would take to become a columnist. Turned out to be a good decision for him.

For the most part, we have a generation of journalists raised on new kinds of journalism. The Post still practices more traditional journalism (thank god). Both are important, but I think it's fair to say fewer journalists strive to be the beat reporter for the Washington Redskins. They see their peers strive for, and reach, other positions at a young age, ones with more prestige and pay. This doesn't mean that's a good development. As @Alma likes to point out, when all we do is celebrate/fetishize longer stories, it's not great for journalism. But I think it's fair to say it's real.

4. Michael Prunka

Michael Prunka New Member

Probably WashPostPR.tumblr.com.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Absolutely it’s real.

There’s more good work and writing being done now than ever before, probably. But there are limits to the usefulness of that work at some point, and, meanwhile, local communities that need the journalism don’t have the talent and the budget to do it.

Double Down likes this.
  6. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

There's another opening on this beat. Kimberley Martin leaving for Yahoo after about 10 seconds on the gig. As-yet-public job listing says they have a strong candidate to replace her, likely out of necessity.

7. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

So in the past year she has gone from Newsday to The Buffalo News to The Washington Post to Yahoo?

Adam94 and Tweener like this.
  8. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

That seems to be the case, yeah. Her move from Newsday to the Buffalo News was announced 8.2.17, per a Google search. She lasted a little more than two months there before joining the Post, where she stuck around for 10 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted