1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins hire Jim Zorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rising that high, that quickly is a sure way to get the bends. I remember when the offensive coordinator in Green Bay was dismissed as a coaching prospect because Holmgren was said to do most of the OC stuff himself. Of course, that didn't stop teams from hiring position coaches from Green Bay, like Gruden and Reid. It's a good thing Zorn is white or people might call it an affirmative action hire. Good luck Zorn - I always liked him as a player, but can we start calling the Redskins the Raiders East.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You've got to be kidding me.

Then again, this is the follow-up to a thread where (presumably) a sports writer admitted he could not place the name Zorn.

In terms of sheer name recognition, and Danny's big on that, Zorn blows away Spagnuolo.

I'm less inclined to credit Spagnuolo for that victory than the players. Once again Coach is anointed a "genius" for a gameplan as old as football itself.

And pancamo, Zorn helped develop Brad Johnson in Minnesota in the mid-1990s. I realize it's a reach, but Johnson was a ninth round draft pick who became a serviceable quarterback.

and shockey, before you become the arbiter of who's an idiot or not, bring something that shows you have an understanding of the game that's something more than childlike.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

LJB, you're not exactly impartial when it comes to all-things Seahawks related.

A few weeks ago, Zorn may have had a bit more name recognition, but not much, than Spagnuolo. After the Super Bowl, and the 15,000 close-ups and the continuous verbal fellatio he and his defense were getting from Fox, it's not even close. Spags is far and away more well known.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you have to be kidding.

5. Flying Headbutt

You don't think the common fan, who only follows his favorite team and then watches the playoffs, knows more about Zorn than Spagnulo after the Super Bowl?

6. Flying Headbutt

Maybe it's east coast bias. You're a NWer, LJB is a Seahawks fan, it only figures you guys would know lots about him. But a few months ago he was a QB coach on an above average team that was still more or less an afterthought in the NFC.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, he threw for more than 21,000 yards during an 11-year career.

and stop making a raider fan defend jimfuckingzorn.

8. Flying Headbutt

That career was basically over when I was in kindergarten. The top-20 for passing yards starts at 33,000 yards. Zorn had ONE all-pro season in his career. How many other average quarterbacks do most people not recognize from that era?

Oh, and I AM in NFC East country.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Fox's mythologizing of Spagnuolo -- because they never, ever do this with New York-Boston corridor coaches/assistants -- and a gameplan that called for blitzing a gimpy quarterback isn't enough to get on your knees.

How many people thought Spagnuolo was worth a shit when Dallas hung 45 points on the Giants in the opening week?

I won't confirm nor deny whether I'm a Seahawks fan or the most impartial observer. But Jim Zorn is a good guy, a good coach, a strong teacher and a football lifer who served his apprenticeship in the temple for 20 years, and he at least deserved a shot at the holy headset.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well said, Peaches.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    How many cards did Spagnuolo have?

(Love the '77 set, home of the All-Airbrush team...)

12. Flying Headbutt

Yeah, he's the guy who somehow got into a round table with three other HOF thirdbasemen that gets shown from time to time on a local cable sports network. Only Michael Kay could get Nettles on for a discussion with Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, and George Brett, with Yogi Berra in the audience.

And Buck, I know who Sipe is. I saw Hart among the top-20 in passing yards. Haden's name rings a bell. But again, are you an average sports fan? Would an average fan our age know starting QB's from 1982 from all over the league? Most casual fans certainly won't. Average fans? If they were old enough to know back then I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted