1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins get No. 2 pick.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So I take it this takes the Skins out of the Manning sweepstakes? Any chance they still sign him, let RGIII develop behind him ala Rodgers/Favre?

Also,any chance the Colts shock the world and take RGIII over Luck?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And Aikman played a year at Oklahoma.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Redskins did nothing with all those draft choices.

RGIII ought to be better than Eli Manning (SB MVP x 2) based on cost.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A couple months ago, I had a problem with the Skins giving up what I knew would be this kind of haul for the No. 2 pick. But as the options started to show themselves (Manning, Orton + Tannehill/Weeden), just Tannehill, sticking with Grossman, waiting for Weeden/Foles/Whoever), it became very apparent that you just do what it takes to get Griffin.

For a team so starved for a franchise QB, you know, the most important fucking position in football, this was a proper move. I can see where the rest of the league might say be skeptical, but if you're a Skins fan, you should be more than OK with it.

All that said, Shanny is sitting 0-for-3 in quarterback decisions since he got to town. But as someone said, had he NOT done this, I don't see the Skins winning more than 7 games next year and he's fired anyway. If RG3 tanks, he's probably fired, too.

Why not take the chance?

5. JackReacher

According to Schefter, the Skins are still in on Manning despite knowing they probably won't get him now. Yeah, you keep fucking that chicken, Shanahan.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Griffin better be a top 10 QB for that haul.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with Ryan. You can't say the price of anything is too high until you know what you bought. If Griffin becomes a solid NFL QB, and just for argument's sake, say he becomes as good as Cutler, then the price was high, but worth it. If he's better than that, he came cheap. People don't bitch that their Matisses cost too much.

8. JackReacher

Although I wasn't fully onboard with the "Trade a shit load of picks for RG3" bandwagon until probably the combine, I've said all along that RG3 > Luck, much to the laughter of just about everyone. And while stats don't tell the whole story, they're still pretty damn interesting.

RG3: 4.293 yards, 37 TDs, 6 INTs, 72.4%, 189.5 rating
    Luck: 3,517 yards, 37 TDs, 10 INTs, 71.3%, 169.7 rating

It's not that RG3's stats pummel Luck's. They don't. They're damn near even. But the fact that THE RUNNING QUARTERBACK had comparable (even slightly better) passing stats than THE GOLDEN CHILD is pretty interesting to me.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you remove the once-in-a-generation QB Andrew Luck from the equation, Griffin's a clear No. 1 QB, and probably the best QB to come out in the last 2-3 years, and probably better than anyone coming out next year...mix in the fact that draft picks are less expensive now, that the NFL is a QB league more than ever before which makes having a star QB far more valuable than any 2 or 2 other picks combined, throw in that the Redskins coach is a QB guru who has proven that he can win with the right QB and lesser parts around him, well, after all those mental gymnastics you could argue that Washington is the one and only franchise that could make this sort of trade and have NOT paid too much.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Crazy as it is to say, I don't think the Skins gave up too much.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's crazy talk.

12. JackReacher

Rams got an extra 2 this year and will have two 1s the next two years. Huge opportunity. They'd better not fuck that up.

Draft saved Draft deleted