1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins get No. 2 pick.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You people keep saying that. And you're wrong.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure, Mike Shanahan will spend the weekend in off-the-record conversations that guarantee he gets all the credit if Griffin succeeds and Snyder gets all the blame if Griffin fails.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Being one of the 12 best in the league does not make a quarterback a "franchise quarterback." Philip Rivers is a top-12 quarterback.

Being capable of winning a Super Bowl does not making a quarterback a "franchise quarterback." Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Slight threadjack: Roddy White is a colossal moron.

OK, carry on.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I look forward to Griffin becoming a franchise quarterback in 4-5 years for his second franchise. He has the skills to do it, but nobody ever will be a franchise anything for that clusterfuck.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Then give us your definition of a franchise quarterback, please.

Here is ESPN.com's Robert Mays, a Bears fan: "At no point have I regretted having him as the Bears quarterback. He makes two throws a game that make me put my head in my heads, but he makes just as many that I'm not sure three other guys in the league could make. I'm not sure a single quarterback plays with less talent at wide receiver/tight end, and I'm not sure a single quarterback plays in an offense more ill-suited for its personnel. He has one of the worst (if not the worst) offensive lines in the league, and an offense that forces him to hold onto the ball longer than any other would. With the beatings I've seen him take for the last two years, it's nothing short of laughable that anyone could question how tough that dude is."

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A franchise quarterback, to me, is a guy like Peyton Manning. A guy you want at the helm for 10-plus years. Again, we're at an impasse. Look it up. I'm done with this argument.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Versatile, if you are saying there are very few "franchise quarterbacks," that's fair. But that makes my point: You don't give up that much for a guy who hasn't proven he can play on the NFL level. Cutler had when the Bears made that trade, and he's shown the last two years Chicago got the better of that deal, whether you want to attach the franchise moniker to him.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

A franchise quarterback, to you, is one of the five best to ever play the position. You're right; Cutler can't live up to that.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think we're on the same side of the Griffin argument.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Someone tell me the definition of a "franchise quarterback".

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted