1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins ... Braves ... Cougars? Really!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yuma, Ariz., High School Criminals. Must go. (soon as the 3:15 arrives, that is).

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

- My initial thought as a former substitute teacher, and upon reading that the students voted for this, was that it was a prime example of why you don't like 14 to 18-year-olds vote on things like this. In my day, the team would probably be named the Fartknockers or something as a result.

- Then I noted that the team would be named the Canyon Corner Cougars, which actually does sound pretty good. I like aliteration in team names. (Plus, I'm with Dave Dameshek on the idea that you should always be able to easily pluralize a team's name - cougars or celtics vs. magic or jazz.)

- Final thing, it's frickin' Utah and they have BYU in the same state with the Cougar name. Obviously, I imagine that might be playing into things just as much as a couple jack-off kids that voted for it just because it was silly. They should have just played it off like they didn't know the alternative meaning for Cougar was - you know, like normal adults would when kids are trying to be smart asses - and kept the name.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Got to love Yuma, especially when they were in the same region as my suburban Phoenix high school in the early 1990s.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The Cleveland Steamers will never exist at this rate.

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

"Mommy, our coach said we're gonna be the Camel Toes so we can be on TV!"

Draft saved Draft deleted