1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reds hire Dusty Baker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Oct 13, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Mackanin was a victim of circumstance to a degree ... past 2 hires were Lett and Narron, who got the Reds hot at the end of the year on an interim basis and got extended contracts, only to flame out. No way Castellini was going to do that for a third consecutive time ... unfortunately, he went the other way and went for a "name."

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Homer Bailey: "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo."

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dusty's going to hate Adam Dunn. He walks too much. Can't have him clogging the bases dude.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

When is the '08 MLB schedule come out? I want to know when do the Reds visit Wrigley.

5. Armchair_QB

It's already out, or an unofficial version is. I saw something the other day on the Cubs' interleague games.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Joey Votto: "Fuck. I will never play again."

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'll never understand the professional sports idea of recycling managers. Hey, Manager/Coach A failed miserably in (insert city), but he's going to turn us into winners!

It was reason number one why I had stomach aches laughing at Cubs fans who thought Dusty would take them to the promised-land. He was an overrated manager in San Fran and he didn't do shit in Chicago. Why hire him?

But it's par for the course for Reds' management, and as long as the same people are running the Reds, they won't contend for anything but fourth place.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Tony LaRussa, Joe Torre and Jim Leyland all qualify for the "recycled" label.

Depends on the person and circumstances.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Leyland was successful in Pittsburgh and won a title in Florida before he took over the Tigers. LaRussa was semi-successful in Chicago before he found success in Oakland and later St. Louis.

Torre is an exception, but he's not in the same category, IMO. He's a good manager, but there are several guys who could've duplicated his results in NY with the roster/payroll he's had there.

I'm all for giving a guy a second chance. It's the third and fourth chances that kill me.

But like I said: when the Reds still suck three years from now, Baker won't be to blame. The management in Cincy flat-out sucks.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do the Reds still have Scott Hatteberg. Because you know Dusty Baker is going to love having that veteran presence in the lineup at first base.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True, but Baker isn't going to do anything to improve the situation

12. Armchair_QB

Have no fear Reds fans. This guy will save you.

[​IMG]

Well, as soon as he's served the rest of his suspension for using banned stimulants he will.

Draft saved Draft deleted