1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reds Beat Reporter | Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by zhbuchanan, Jan 10, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Joining The Athletic.

2. ss90

ss90 Member

One of six new hires. Congrats to him, the site, and national baseball fans.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agreed on all counts.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just for clarity's sake: Everyone who's in a position of authority has had to kiss ass at some point. Those who stubbornly refuse to kiss ass are the 30-year-olds at the drive-through window. Don't wear it as a badge of courage. You do what you gotta do.

CD Boogie, msm29 and Adam94 like this.
  5. ss90

ss90 Member

I viewed puckering up as pathetic. But I stood by it then and I do now, whether I was right or wrong (probably wrong since I'm out of the industry now).

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself.
    A workplace brown-noser, and we've all seen them in action, is usually insecure about the quality of his or her work.
    We have seen in our government how pathetic, and how ultimately destructive, the use of flattery is as a tool for self-promotion.
    When the good employees leave because of such horseshit, and the suck-up is forced to take up the work that has been foisted on other people because of the tactics used, the suck-up will either improve or show who they really are (usually an undertalented employee).
    Your advice to younger journalists is garbage once again.

twinsfan1424 and Doc Holliday like this.
  7. ss90

ss90 Member

I don't know that this is fair. This is an industry that a long time ago decided to forgo merit-based decisions. Blame the game, not the players.

steveu and Tweener like this.
  8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Before its demise, this industry was full of people at high positions whose talent, ability, intelligence, maturity, demeanor, and so on and so forth, did not command those stations.
    Nobody was forced to make Lynn Hoppes an ME 15 years after his being hired as a page designer.
    Or giving Jemele Hill column inches barely out of college.

9. BaseballGuy1

BaseballGuy1 New Member

Any updates on this position? No longer posted on Gannett's website.

10. BaseballGuy1

BaseballGuy1 New Member

They filled the position.

11. ss90

ss90 Member

Respect how fast they got it done. But, spring training is right around the corner.

12. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

John Fay, who covered the Reds for the Enquirer for many years before taking the buyout in 2015, is coming back.

Draft saved Draft deleted