1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Wings vs. Blackhawks at Wrigley Field in January

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, May 28, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know it was a hockey town for decades. Those decades don't include this one. I'm sure last year's att. figures were up dramatically over recent years, since those recent years were a complete waste. That's like saying this year's Indy 500 attendance was much improved. Well, duh, of course it was since the last decade was amateur hour.

Using Wrigley in this new NHL-outdoor fetish is a gimmick that doesn't need to be done. A number of other places would have been more legit.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unless it's South Florida as just mentioned or maybe Dallas or Atlanta, I think the effect of outdoor temperatures on ice is overblown. Most barns keep their thermostats around 60ºF anyway, and it's going to be much cooler than that outdoors in January in most places. Precipitation (particularly, rain) would be the main worry.

Of course, playing outdoor hockey in 50º weather doesn't have the same mystique as playing it in -20º would. Might as well be watching a football game.

The Stars are already talking to the Cowboys about playing a game or two in JerryWorld when it opens next year. I don't like that idea. The Cotton Bowl would be better. But again, winter weather in Dallas is a roll of the dice. It could be 75º or it could be 25º on any given day.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Apparently the proposed college doubleheader at Fenway Park isn't happening.
    I heard about it a year or two ago, but haven't heard anything in a while.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hate the whole outdoor game faux nostalgia crap.

In the spirit of '32, maybe the NFL should have one regular season game indoors.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The game is at Wrigley instead Solider Field or Sox Park (which might fit more fans), I would guess, for two reasons. One, the Wrigley name. Two, Wrigley is privately owned, so all the NHL would need to do is go through the same permit process used for securing a Jimmy Buffett or Police concert. Actually, I just thought of a third reason -- John McDonough, until recently a longtime Cubs employee.

As for your analogy, playthrough, Chicago is no less a hockey town because the Hawks were inept than Indianapolis was less a racing town because dentists got to drive at the 500. In each case, a good portion of a knowledgeable fanbase knew better than to throw good money after bad.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Plus, I'd be remiss in not mentioning the Wolves as proof Chicago is a hockey town. When the Blackhawks were truly awful, and fans thought Bill Wirtz didn't care about them or the team, they decided to see minor-league hockey. They routinely put 8,000-10,000 people in the stands at Allstate Arena, for an AHL team. They craved hockey, and the Wolves provided a successful, fan-friendly outlet to get that fix.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can't wait until that wind whips in from centerfield to see how much the players like it. Am also sure they'll love the spacious locker rooms

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Host to what was the most charming private football club in America, for decades.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bring back Bob Probert.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Really, it's unfortunate Mpls-St. Paul, with an actual pond hockey culture, doesn't have an outdoor stadium that can do this.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

They will soon, right? Isn't there a new Twins stadium and a new Vikings stadium being built?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Is this definitely confirmed? Would the game be Jan. 1?

If it is Jan. 1, the Wings may not like that since it would likely mean having to give up hosting their traditional New Years' Eve game.

Oh and yes, Minnesota is getting a new open-air stadium (although I don't think it's slated for completion til 2010). Not sure on that date tho.

Draft saved Draft deleted