1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox-Yankees rivalry reaches ridiculous heights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cougargirl, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

If it's a d_b, apologies all around. But a woman in Nashua has been charged in running down a Red Sox fan ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8107040/Yanks-fan-charged-with-murder-in-Sox-fan-death

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Damn Yankees. ;D

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You know, if they all just kill each other and blow up both stadiums, wouldn't baseball be better off? Bill Simmons is silenced in the summer... John Sterling goes away.. teams will be able to keep their homegrown talent, thereby making scouting and team development an integral part of the game again.

I'm going to hand the next Sox and Yanks fans I see weapons, then tell them the other said something nasty about their momma.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outing alert: DD68 is Conrad Dobler.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah! I hated how the Yankees traded Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Jose Tabata and Robinson Cano to the Twins for Johan Santana! And those fucking Red Sox...all they do is sign or trade for other team's superstars. Can you imagine what they might have done last year with Jonathan Papelbon, Jon Lester, Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia and Clay Buchholz on their team?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

You forgot them adding Melky Cabrera to the Santana trade.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They're all Yankees.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Excellent work.

People always act like those great Yanks teams of the 1990s hinged on free agents, but their homegrown guys carried much of the load. The 2004 Red Sox were mostly a mercenary team, but last year's champs had quite a few former farmhands.

And it must be noted that after Steinbrenner started buying the best free agents each year (Mussina, Giambi, etc.), the Yankees were finished winning World Series titles.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh wonderful...here we go again. And no, I am not going to be the one to resist.

The 2007 Red Sox did have a lot of home-grown talent. They also had the second-highest payroll in the game. They already had big-money players such as Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz and they were paying Matt Clement to do nothing, but they still managed to overspend on free agent additionst Julio Lugo and J.D. Drew before the season. They still won despite some very bad contracts, not to mention the complete failure of deadline pick-up Eric Gagne.

Low-revenue franchises don't win when they make errors like those.

And yes, the Yankees actually showed some fiscal restraint when Santana became available. Of course, they still have two of three highest salaries in baseball this year (Rodriguez and Giambi) and the highest payroll in the game. They could have, and probably should have, made the deal for Santana, too. They have the resources. They made a bad choice and now they are paying for it.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OOP, you know you're my brother in geekdom, but you should have resisted this time.

No one said anything about mistakes, or revenue, or large market vs. small market. It was a point that simply was: The last Sox champion and the great yanks of the 1990s had plenty of homegrown stars, so to scream about "best team money can BUY!!!!!!" and "All they do is buy other teams' players!!!!!!!!" is incorrect.

I remember all too well the Fox-run Dodgers, who tried their best to buy a title by throwing money at free agents. But they lacked the organizational stability to make it work.

No matter how much money a franchise has, there has to be a quality organization in place.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well I didn't see that one coming. :)

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, no doubt, doubledown overdid it in his post that started this particular discussion. That doesn't mean the responses to his post are correct, either. There is absolutely no doubt that the Yankees of the '90s and the Red Sox of 2007 made some great decisions. But to say that money was not a factor either time is also incorrect.

And BYH, my response is exactly as surprising as yours was. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.