1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox vote to boycott Japan trip--crisis averted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 19, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Red Sox vote to boycott Japan trip

Jayson Stark writes: "At the end of the day (literally) the Red Sox will get on that plane and will head for Japan. I've been around that team twice in the last week, and I have no doubt that these guys completely understand the profound global ramifications of this trip. Nobody needs to explain to them that this isn't just another road series on their pocket schedules. This is an event of major significance for the sport, for the franchise and for the nation they're about to visit."

Sorry, that's laying it on far too thick for me. Profound global ramifications??

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For MLB, sure. Imagine if Dice-K didn't pitch after all the buzz.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Steve Phillips said they'll go to Japan. I believe Steve Phillips.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because the league apparently agreed to $40k and then reneged after the team agreed to the trip.

Shit - the A's better not boycott their last Spring game. I've got tickets to the Angels-A's game in two hours.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Steinbrenner Jr.'s rantings quite overshadow these good steps by the Yankees. Perhaps he should shut it.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Or maybe you just stuck your keyboard in your mouth and bit off more than you could chew...

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe. But he should still shut it!

8. KP

KP Active Member

Sox game to start just after 1 now. There has been some sort of agreement according to the Red Sox MR staff.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Strange wardrobe decision.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Definitely, but now you're trying to sidestep it.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines here, but you seem to be implying that this is not the norm. Yes, we see the money the players make and are comfortable in assuming they are, in the words of Mike Greenberg, spoiled, pampered softies. Some of that may be deserved, but it's not unusual for the players to vote full postseason shares to various staff members who wouldn't otherwise get it. I've talked to one bullpen catcher who paid off his house with one postseason share. I'd submit that the average big-league player's charitable works exceed that of the average sports writer many times over, and I think it's unfair to use this broad of a brush.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

MLB would lose face!

It's so great to see the Red Sox separate themselves from the Yankees in the class department.

Draft saved Draft deleted