1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox vote to boycott Japan trip--crisis averted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 19, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Red Sox vote to boycott Japan trip

Millionaire Red Sox players vote to stand up for their coaches who actually could use the extra money but aren't being compensated any extra for spending nearly three weeks in Japan.

Meanwhile, the world-class organization in the Bronx is fighting with basement-dwelling Tampa Bay, throwing hissy fits because a ninth-string catcher was bowled over while blocking home plate, spiking players at second base, and proclaiming that every other team in baseball needs to genuflect and kiss the Pope's ring before collecting that week's welfare wages.

Nice disparity.

2. Re: Red Sox vote to boycott Japan trip

MLB is a 6 billion dollar industry. 40k per coach is chump change.

And Varitek just said if the game gets cancelled, they're committed to sitting around at the stadium and signing autographs for a while so the fans don't get gypped. Classy.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Actually, the Yankees were at Virginia Tech helping the school raise money for victims. But, I guess you could argue that they were crying about Tampa Bay.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, the fans might actually prefer that.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm not so sure why they're being so penny-tight, given the dollar-dumbness of flying two teams halfway around the world to play counting games, mere days before the season begins.

6. Inky_Wretch

Who is Claire Smith and why is she working as a sideline reporter for ESPN?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ag2NH4YDhkYCQ5XF_vVST805nYcB?slug=ap-yankees-virginiatech&prov=ap&type=lgns

If you're going to bring up the Yankees, it's worth noting they donated $1 million contribution to the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund, which was created to cover grief counseling, memorials and other costs for the victims and their families from last year's shooting. And they just went to Blacksburg, Va., to play the Hokies in an exhibition game. First stop when they got there? The memorial to the 32 victims, talking with more than 200 people, many of them related to the victims.

So, what disparity were you talking about?

8. Re: Red Sox vote to boycott Japan trip

The same organization that gave $1 million to Virginia Tech a year ago and then played the Hokies yesterday to help raise money. A-Rod spent most of the game in the VT dugout to spend time with the players and sign autographs.

Going to Japan is not taking any money out of the coaches' pockets.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Really? Claire Smith has covered baseball since the early 80s, for the NY Times among others.

As for the why.....why not?

10. Inky_Wretch

Not a huge baseball fan, so forgive my not knowing her.

I saw a woman holding a rattan visor in one hand with her purse over one shoulder giving a sideline report. So I asked.

11. Re: Red Sox vote to boycott Japan trip

Let's start doing a shot every time they show the Varitek interview. We'll be hammered by 1.

12. KoM

KoM Member

I agree. Her choice of wardrobe is about as unprofessional as I've ever seen. She looks like a player's mom. Maybe she can make some Chunky Soup commercials.

Smith is doing a fine job, but it would be about the same if I showed up to cover something wearing a tanktop and flipflops.

Draft saved Draft deleted