1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox fans can't take a joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've thought about this for a while today, and I haven't changed my original stance.

I'm very angry that we live in a world where shit like this genuinely angers people. Very angry.

Seriously, this is just not a big deal. It's just not.

He didn't write "go fuck yourself." He wrote "Red Sox Suck!"

What the hell?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

after reading your post, i thought about this subject for awhile before posting as well.

i agree with you, hammer.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Spot on. This will be on eBay before the end of the week.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they really don't seem smart enough to pull that off.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Are we this jaded and cynical that it's OK to be that coarse in an autograph to a 10-year-old? I'm not saying it's going to wreck the kid or anything, but it just doesn't pass the smell test of the right thing for someone who could theoretically be a role model to someone that young. Granted, there's an element here that thinks a kid's first words should be "fuck off, assclown," but just saying.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one of the heartbreakers is about that age. if she were a baseball fan and received that auto, i'd really give a shit less.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't sue anybody, but I'd be a little bummed that the kid got a vulgarity from an athlete. Should we just pipe Andrew Dice Clay monologues into our children's cribs?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dools - for as much as i drop f-bombs around here, i must admit i'm pretty vigilant about folks cursing in front of my kids ... in fact i'm kinda a dick about it.

but for me, the word sucks simply isn't profanity.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's a difference between "Red Sox suck!" and "The other day I was standing in line at the grocery store, and I've got my tongue up this chick's ass! Oh!"

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

QT, you are going quite a bit overboard on this. By quite a bit, I mean you went overboard in the middle of the Atlantic and the boat has already returned to a port in Panama.

Having coached 9 year-old kids for a period of a few years the word “sucks” is fairly regular part of their vernacular. On top of this, you are talking about “innocence” when the FACT is that the kid needed to walk past a t-shirt stand that sells “Yankees Suck” shirts. I’m sorry, but unless you are willing to go after those parents for tearing out the innocence then I see no grounds from where you are coming from.

Next, the kid is going to enter Fenway Park. The last time I was there (just last season), I’ll let you guess how many f-bombs and “sucks” chants there were coming from damn near everyone in the stadium. And if you weren’t part of it you better damn believe that you heard it.

I’ve harped on this before, but I’m damn near sick of people flipping out over fuck, shit, crap, suck. Sorry. That is just bull. No child in the history of the earth has ever grown up to be a horrible person based on hearing a “profanity.”

Mind you, I’m not saying that it should be part of the regular speech pattern as I believe a more educated person has a reduction of said words. I’m saying that simply hearing it or saying it isn’t the end of the world and the gross over reaction to some people based simply on the existence of several words will continue to astound me.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I hear ya Hammer! The parents need a reality check.....I'm sure their child hears and says 10x worse than "sucks" on a daily basis.

Fuckin' pinkhats!

Maybe the kid was a bit too young for the joke, but I find the thing funny.....good for Duncan.

12. KP

KP Active Member

Once seeing what Shelley had wrote, the should have yelled back that he can't hold his brother's jock.

JC, I understand what you're saying about innocence through high school, but how about junior high? A 10-year old and someone 14-15 are two very different levels of maturity. You're ok with a random adult going up to your fanboy kid saying their team sucks?

The whole incident just showed a lack of maturity on Duncan's part. There are people of all ages lined up looking for autographs, he could have signed that one like he's done thousands of times and save the joke for someone a little older.

Does the incident deserve the attention that it gets, of course not. The parents should have just tried to explain to the kid it was an attempt at being funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted