1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox fans can't take a joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And as a brief aside, I got the print version of the Herald yesterday coming back from a trip to Boston that had this story.

Front cover was fantastic. Headline was 'Soldiering On' and picture was a takeoff on the Revolutionary War painting of the two drummers and the flutist marching: Kraft in the middle, Brady in uniform and helmet on the right as the drummer looking up at the one in the middle, and Belichick on the left as the flutist. In his hoodie. Well done.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

We would? I didn't know that. You make it sound like Royals fans have no sense of humor, when in reality, we have to because of the team we support.

3. I was referring to the people on this board.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Simply wow. Nearly everyone here has forgotten how innocent one is entitled to be. This is simply wrong. You hold this exchange up as a proxy for your own views of Red Sox v Yankee.

He's a ten year old kid. My kids are around that age right now and they and their friends are entitled to a little room from the pessimistic/wordly view of adults. Yes the world is very cruel at times, much crueler than when I growing up in the '70s.

Whether he knows what "Red Sox Sucks" is or not, when he approaches a MLB player for an autograph, he is entitled to be treated with dignity and respect and every adult around should expect the same. If a peer of his said that to him, that's one thing, but he's asking an adult for a kind gesture, some moment to treasure, and this is what he gets?

A kid is exposed to enough of life as it is from his peers, he should not be subjected to the grimness of life from adults too, especially from an entertainer.

Pussification? How about just letting a kid keep his/her innocence until high school ends?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

qtlaw is correct. This is a 10-year-old kid. It's stupid for Duncan to do this. But ballplayers are immature in general, so it's not surprising. Duncan needs to grow up more than the kid does.

Still, the Red Sox DO suck.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Innocence until high school ends? What color is the sky in your world?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In two years, probably less than that, the kid will love the autograph. All Shelley did was poke fun at the rivalry, nothing directed at the kid at all.

I don't know how everyone else on this board was raised, so I can't speak for anyone else, but by 10, I already knew the bad words and when to use them and when to hold my tongue. Kids have only gotten more mature -- although that really depends on how they're raised: Two of my cousins are religious, home-schooled kids; two are extremely sheltered; and my family grew up independently near the city. We're all very different, but I'd say the average kid would have gotten Duncan's joke.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Kid will sell it on Ebay and buy 40 Xbox units.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I got to this quote from wicked on p. 1:

"I doubt there was any malice on Duncan's part, for what it's worth, it just wasn't the smartest thing in the world."

Here I am, without benefit of interceding comments, saying, "BINGO"! Duncan doesn't know this particular ten year old.

When I was ten, we had a catcher who would spit tobacco juice on the opponents' shoes. Doesn't matter, unless Duncan is also ten. Doofus.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fair 'nuff.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Come on. It's friggin hilarious! This is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard!

As a Red Sox fan he should savor this autograph - It's a one-of-a-kind collectible!

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

He could have signed an "x" like Roger Maris.

Draft saved Draft deleted