1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox fans can't take a joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

"Because, son, your team does suck."

The kid is 10 not 1. He knows what the word "suck" means in this context and I'll guarantee he's said it himself. You are acting like this kid has been in only two buildings in his life, home and church, and this is his first experience with the real world.

2. Oh for God's sake. So when you were 10, you smoked a pack a day, rode a Harley, and knew everything you needed to know about everything? THE POINT IS THAT THE KID REACTED, AND THE PARENTS DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. Jesus Christ. If this kid were a Royals fan, you people would be stringing Duncan up from the nearest fucking tree.

3. I have an autograph of Jim Bouton that reads "Fuck You Shakespeare, Jim Bouton".....maybe i should have complained to my parents back then too--kids need to toughen up

4. And he's going to be used to kids saying "Red Sox suck" or whatever. But probably doesn't expect it from adults. Certainly not in this situation. So somebody, like a parent, should have talked to the kid, that's all. Only here would the 10-year-old in this situation become the villain.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This kid was at Fenway Park for a Red Sox / Yankees game. His virgin sensibilities, if he had any, left themselves at the gate.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hate how vulgar the fans at baseball games have become. And Duncan's joke may have been more appropriate, if at all, for someone half a decade older. And maybe the kid and his parents were truly bothered by what Duncan wrote.

But given that these are the fans who constantly chant that A-Rod, Jeter or the Yankees suck and who wear t-shirts that A-Rod or Jeter are gay, it's seems a little disingenious for the Boston crowd to be righteously indignant about what he wrote.

7. It's more than a little disingenuous. But I just love how the logic goes here, "the kid went to Fenway, so he now has hair on his chest and a refined sense of irony, as well as the ability to discern bullshit from a real insult. If he doesn't, he's a pussy."

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

It's not like Duncan taught the kid a new word or anything. So big deal.

And now the kid will probably be on The View and Good Morning America this week, and the uproar will exceed all common sense.

9. Possibly true. But not the kid's fault.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, I actually would have loved if this had happened so I could go to school and show it off. Duncan actually personalized the autograph and the kid will remember it for years. This kid is in for a lot worse if this type of things upset him.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Exactly. The kid reading the word “suck” suddenly equals smoking, drinking and riding motorcycles. Perfect analogy there.

In order to ascertain this autograph the kid had to walk past a t-shirt stand selling shirts with the words “Yankees Suck” and “Jeter Swallows” but, of course, the kid “doesn’t expect” it to come from adults. What a load of shit that is.

It isn’t the kid, it is the parents. Their dumb-ass called the paper. Their dumb-ass couldn’t tell their kid that it was a joke. Their dumb-ass dressed their kid head to toe in a Red Sox uniform for a picture for the newspaper.

Pathetic.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's the parents' fault. They're milking this for everything they get from it. Greedy, lying bastards.

This kid isn't 'damaged' by any of this. They just want to see what kind of compensation they can parlay from this event.

Draft saved Draft deleted