1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox fandom in the post-"curse" era

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Oct 29, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Boy isn't that the truth. Ten years ago, you go to any mall in the US and you see so many Bulls' heads glaring at you, you think you're in a feed-lot.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've certainly done my fair share of pointing out Bill Simmons flaws (for reasons both professional and personal) but I very much enjoyed the ending to his column today. Just a really nice scene with he and his daughter, and in many ways, a beautiful last line if you're a Sox fan.

Good work, Bill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071029&sportCat=mlb

3. pallister

pallister Guest

WI, as to your Bulls "fan" example, diehard fans follow a team, not its players, whereas bandwagon fans latch on to the hype of a certain player, e.g. Jordan. When that player is gone, it ain't so easy to be a fan, especially if you don't have a family/regional influence.

In fact, I'm from Chicago and lived there from 90-93 during the Bulls' first three titles and was admittedly swept up, with the rest of the city, in following MJ and the Bulls. Once I left town and Jordan did his baseball thing, I didn't care anymore.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I proudly can say, and my wife will attest much to her dismay, I've remained a Bulls fan through thick and thin.

Draft saved Draft deleted