1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox fandom in the post-"curse" era

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

We've seen this before and it shall pass in due time.

The Red Sox excel in the early part of the century and then endure 80 years of futility.....

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I believe it was Hank Steinbrenner that recently said, roughly, "they can be Red Sox nation, it still isn't the Yankee universe."

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. I've called them that for years.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They hold the Sox dearer than those other items, fiercely and intensely so. They're being priced out because of the size of the ballpark. It really is that simple. On one hand, the Sox can complain that they would produce even more revenue with a bigger one, but as it stands they own an overpowering advantage (maybe in all of sports) in demand vs. supply.

The 20-something colleges in the city and its surrounding areas are a big fermenter of the bandwagonism and the pink hatting. Another thing unique to Boston.

I did some time in Texas (specifically the metroplex) as a kid. The obnoxiousness there is a different animal as you know. My brother and I had no problem getting Cowboys tickets in the 1980s, before the oil boom (and the Cowboys) went bust. There was a hell of a time getting them after that, needless to say, and "real" Cowboys fans were just as pissed about that as the people who resent the pink hats.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

there are absolutley no plans on building a new park for the Red Sox.....Fenway now holds about 37k, thats enough to compete and IMO its not smart to have more than 42k seats. I know Pittsburghs new stadium only seats around 37k people.

I'm sure the owners are thinking of ways to squeeze in another 1000 or so seats, they've found many ways to create more space and better utilize the park itself.

As for the "pinkhats"....they're just a byproduct of a popular team, nothing wrong with it....the same way the Celtics now have many more fans than they did 8 months ago.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's not that Sox fans won't let others in. That's fine. But some of them definitely won't let others share in the ansgt they've developed over the years.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

because I miss the angst......I'm now redevoting my fandom to the Boston Bruins. It's not cool to be a B's fan, they're a long way from contending for a Cup so I'll have years of letdowns, complaining and angst!!

I can't wait!!

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A great piece by Charles Pierce on the Red Sox victory.

"It feels great to be stinkin' rich."

http://www.slate.com/id/2176853/

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Question: Are the pink hats hated more or less than the camo Red Sox caps? I saw more of those than pink caps on my last trip to Boston.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Classic line:

He twice made talented Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki look monosyllabic with the slider.

Nice.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

A 450-foot round-tripper from Charlie there.

"Manager Terry Francona—who perhaps finally has earned a 20-minute respite from the yowling twits who call radio talk shows ..."

Awesome.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Also enjoyed this line:

"Over the final four months of 2007, there was no position player more valuable to the Red Sox than Pedroia, who played his position like a 10-year veteran and who every time to the plate swung the bat like someone out of Beowulf."

That's how you write a simile, ladies and gents!

Draft saved Draft deleted