1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Ruffing, Thurman Munson, No. 15, Onward with the Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I can't argue with that, though the Brewers' problem is more about not hitting with runners in scoring position than their fielding.

Either way, they are more than capable of blowing their wild card lead.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As crazy as this sounds, with the recent run of injuries, the Rays might look at bringing a Tampa native home.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

For the sake of the Rays, you'd better hope not.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That Sheffield article said a couple players were placed on waivers, but didn't list any other players. Anyone know who?

The Tigers also signed Freddy Garcia to a minor league deal, with the eye of giving him a September tryout.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080812&content_id=3296023&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

And finally, the Tigers promoted Dontrelle Willis from Single A to Triple A.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't immediately like the sound of it either as far the make-up of the clubhouse, but it is a power bat and someone who could get a nice boost coming home and into a potential playoff race.

None of the local writers have put anything about it on their blogs yet, but I'm guessing it'll get raised at some point.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow.

I guess the Garcia signing means the Yankees are finally doing the right thing and raising the white flag.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sheffield is in the lineup tonight, hitting seventh.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So the Mets-Nats just came on. This shows how much I pay attention beyond the worst team in the world: Church is still out with the concussion thing, I guess. Where is Schneider?

9. KP

KP Active Member

Red Sox with a 10-spot so far in the first. Ortiz with a pair of three-run HRs.

Good to get some support for Charlie Zink's MLB debut.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. And they're not playing the Nats.

Nats fell behind 2-0 in the first and I'm thinking, "Ug-lee." But they came back with four hits and two runs off Santana in their half.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yep, Church is still out. Supposed to start a rehab assignment soon, but you can't believe anything the Mets say about medical situations. Schneider's been demoted to a platoon, basically. Just doesn't hit enough.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Heck of a game at Fenway. Rangers put up an 8-spot in the fifth, Red Sox add two more so far in the bottom half. 27 hits and 24 runs to this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.