1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Ruffing, Thurman Munson, No. 15, Onward with the Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rhody, do you have a link to a story with Baldelli saying it was a self diagnosis? Otherwise, it might be best if you didn't dismiss a medical condition just because you don't understand it.

I know a high school coach with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It is not well understood at all and it is a bitch to diagnose. I'm not sure if there really is any treatment. But just because it is hard to get a handle on doesn't mean it isn't real.

2. outofplace

::)

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Looks like they're finally gonna give Kunz a shot, but if it doesn't work out, the next guy in line is probably John Maine. That's how bad it is. They've talked about converting a starter.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

The John Maine possibility is legitimate, according to one Mets insider. When he's healthy, he will be the Mets' closer.

And the first No. 15 I think of is ... George Foster, not the easiest person to deal with as I recall.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

When is Wagner expected back?

I think until then he should forget about closers, and go batter to batter righty lefty. Have the SPs go as deep as you can, and shorten your bench a bit (generally a terrible idea) to go with an extra RP to make it work.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wagner will be back Monday... and Manuel has been using 5 relievers a night.
    Heilman closed two days in a row successfully, so he got a third chance after a day off and remembered he's Aaron fucking Heilman, who sucks.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Baldelli is a good guy.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

That would be Angels vs. Red Sox in the opening round with the Rays getting home field in the ALDS vs. the Twinkies. :)

NL matchups would be Cubs vs D-Backs and Brewers vs. Phillies.

On an unrelated topic, Arizona has traded away something like 30 minor-leaguers over the past two seasons. Hope that works out for them.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Exiting Aug. 11, 2007, here's who the playoff teams would have been had the season ended a year ago:

AL: Boston (+5), LA Angels (+3.5), Cleveland (+0.5), NY Yankees & Seattle (tie for wild card)
    NL: NY Mets (+2.5), Milwaukee (+1.5), Arizona (+4), San Diego (+0.5, wild card)

Four teams (in red) didn't make it come October. Of the teams in the playoffs as of today, who do you think won't make it? You may pick only one team.

AL: Tampa Bay (+4), Minnesota (+0.5), LA Angels (+14), Boston (+2, wild card)
    NL: Philadelphia (+2), Chi. Cubs (+3.5), Arizona (+1), Milwaukee (+3, wild card)

My pick? Minnesota.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Arizona. In any other division, that team gets knocked around like a kickball.

12. outofplace

What, you don't think adding Adam Dunn will turn that whole offense around?

Are they really going to conider using Mark Reynolds at second base when Upton returns? (moving Dunn from right field to left, Conor Jackson back to first base and Chad Tracy to third) Do they even remember that the biggest advantage they have come playoff time is Brandon Webb? It might be a good idea to put a halfway decent infield behind a guy who makes his living with a great sinker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.