1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Ruffing, Thurman Munson, No. 15, Onward with the Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The condition is known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Basically he gets tired very easily, and can't recover as quickly as an average athlete from his exertions.

They've been using him as a DH mostly during his rehab, he played five innings in the field last night before he got pulled, but I think they want him to DH most of the time and be careful about how much energy he expends running the bases.

It's kind of like Manny loafing to first on pop-ups and easy out ground balls, only the team is kind-of encouraging it.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Rocco's illness is pretty much bullcrap.
    The stories I've read on him, he said this was his diagnosis. No doctor - team or private - has confirmed. The Rays' trainer mentioned how it was going to be easier for him to get by with his symptoms because he's a baseball player.
    Hearing from people who know him better than I, this is atypical for Rocco. His disease is he's an athlete who's legs were shot in high school but he was such a good athlete it didn't matter that he had surgery one year, a broken leg another.
    What he has is bum wheels and no drive to play.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ah, ok, I didn't realize it was chronic fatigue syndrome (I've known people who've had it, it can be pretty rough).

Good to see him back and giving it a go. I know it's a recent diagnosis, but given his injury history, I wonder how long he's had it. Oddly enough, my college roomate is from the same town in Rhode Island (a couple years younger) and saw/played high school volleyball against him, and apparently he's an incredible volleyball player too. It's sad to see it happen to him.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Or he could have CFT, a mitochondrial disease, and your friends could be pretty clueless.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Rhody, sure the guy was an incredible athlete even back in high school; he was on track to be a superstar, in almost any sport he wanted.

Even if there's a possibility that it isn't CFT, you can't say it's bullcrap given his injury/illness history with the Rays--there's clearly something systematic going on.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm almost sure this illness was diagnosed by a doctor.

If Rocco really didn't give a crap, would he really be back in the majors?

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Right. If the guy didn't care, he would've quit long ago considering how many injuries he's had.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

So who's next in line to blow saves for the Mets ... Eddie Kunz? spnited?

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Why are there so many different baseball threads?

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

What's the reasoning behind that? Aren't there other threads longer than 50 pages?

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

50 pages on baseball takes about two weeks.

Other threads it may take two months or two years to get to 50 pages.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My college roommate was Red Ruffing's grandson. He has one of Red's World Series rings in a vault somewhere.

And there's my contribution to this baseball thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.