1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Hook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Feb 23, 2008.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Red Hook is some solid beer. I actually took the tour of the Portsmouth, NH brewery a few years ago. It's actually identical to the Seattle area plant. It only cost a couple of bucks and you got a bunch of beer afterwards.

A good time.

The Blonde is good. I like the ESB as well. They also make a nice summer beer called Sunrye.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i really didn't care for boulevard but i was a big fan of schlafly and the feisty bulldog, the place where i popped my schlafly cherry.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I definitely don't consider Red Hook ESB dark. Compared to Coors Light, yeah, but on the beer scale it's maybe medium.

Damn fine beer. It's my second favorite, behind only Manny's from Georgetown Brewing (also in Seattle) which is only available on tap. The Red Hook brewery also does a great outdoor film series during the summer.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've had the IPA and ESB in the past, and they're fine beers. Not the one I'll reach for first generally, but some good beer.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I drove by Red Hook's Portsmouth operation the other day ... and given what a bad week it's been I nearly stopped in for a few samples.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'll try the ESB tonight and see what I think. My theory that it was dark beer was based on recollections from my early drinking days, when I probably thought Budweiser was dark beer since all I drank was Natty Light.

7. ArnoldBabar

Well, yeah, compared to Nattly Light it's a freakin' stout. :)

I'm guessing you wouldn't be a fan of this former Red Hook product:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm guessing no.
    I tried ShinerBock Black the other day and it was pretty terrible. I think I got drunk off of one schooner.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

arnold - you try widmer's snow plow during christmas?

10. ArnoldBabar

Nah, I'm not a dark beer guy. Mack and Jack's African Amber is about as far as I'll go. My dad is all about those holiday stouts, though.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then do your dad a favor and get him a coupla sixers in december.

i like a good beer. could be pale, could be stout. but one thing is certain, snow plow just might be the best brew i've ever had.

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

This is the same company that makes Obsidian Stout -- the best beer I've ever had. I seriously enjoy me a good stout. I will heartily endorse anything they make after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted