1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Hook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When I used to live in Seattle, I always thought Red Hook was gross.
    The other day, however, I was at the local liquor store and found a Red Hook 12-pack sampler.
    It has four different kinds of beer, with three of each.
    My favorite is the Long Hammer IPA. I also dig the Winter Hook seasonal brew and the Blonde.
    I haven't tried the Original ESB yet, but I'm pretty sure it is the kind I tried growing up that I didn't like. Too dark, if I recall.

Anyone else like Red Hook or have any other recommendations?

Oh, and as an aside, the 12-pack sampler only cost $14.50. That is pretty damn good.

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

if you like red hook, you'll love harpoon. their winter warmer is my favorite christmas beer.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Where is harpoon brewed and what are the chances I can get it in West Texas?

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Harpoon I like--not sure where exactly it's brewed, Gola, but it's readily available here in the Northeast, which I realize is far from West Texas. Never tried Red Hook, I'll have to try it though.

5. zoucrew

zoucrew Member

Grew up less than a half-hour from the Red Hook brewery. Needless to say, I was pretty damn excited when the liquor store down the street from my in bumfuck Midwest started carrying Red Hook. It's great, great beer.

The Long Hammer is a pretty good IPA, but I still don't think it holds up to some of the best (think Stone and Bridgeport). The ESB is great -- among the best if you like darker, non-stout beers. But the Winterhook has to be my favorite. I'm pretty sure I was the only one buying it at my liquor store, but damned if they didn't keep bringing it in for me. Just a solid beer all the way around.

That said, RH still isn't in the same league with some other Northwest breweries (Deschutes, Bridgeport and Mac n Jack's, home of the greatest beer ever produced -- Mac n Jack's African Amber. Mmmmmmmmm...)

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've always been partial to Full Sail, Henry's and Pyramid (as is well documented on this site). I'm not sure if I've ever had Deschutes, Bridgeport or Mac n Jack's. I'll look for it the next time I'm at the liquor store, though I'm guessing they won't have any.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought this was a thread about 'Gola moving to Brooklyn ...

never mind

8. zoucrew

zoucrew Member

Deschutes is probably the best chance you'd have in West Texas (but as someone who lived on the West Texas border, I can tell you there's still virtually no chance). Mirror Pond Pale Ale is their most well-known brew, and a damn fine one. But they make several other good ones. Bridgeport's IPA is maybe the best I've ever had, but I've rarely seen it in a store outside of the Northwest.

Mac n Jack's is only available on tap, and only available in the NW. There are still few better things in than sitting at Safeco Field, Mac n Jack's in one hand, garlic fries in the other. That's what we call livin' the life.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I try not to drink at Safeco, it tends to make me forget the games until I read the PI the next day. That didn't really work in my family.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

according to the bottle, its brewed on both coasts--in WA state and in Portsmouth, NH. Am working my way through a 12-pack of the ESB. I like it and am not a huge fan of dark beer (as much). The blonde is slammin'. Agate, I heart the Winter Warmer. The only way I describe it to people who haven't had it is to say it tastes like Christmas--Hints of Nutmeg and Cinnamon. NICE...speaking of East Coast brews, anyone ever have BBC? I am partial to the Long Spike.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're not alone.

Although it'd make for a hell of a reality show.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Harpoon's brewed in Boston (or thereabouts). Good beer. But hard to find outside New England in my experience. Odds of West Texas, quite slim.
    Boulevard, out of KC, makes a nice IPA.

Draft saved Draft deleted