1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Eye, or, finally, something good comes out of field hockey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 9, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah yeah I know, it's been out since last summer. But going to the movies sucks. Plus, I've got all these HBOs for this very reason.

So I finally got to see this tonight. Quite good. Love the idea of a thriller that plays out within the confines of an airplane. Very claustrophobic and panic-inducing. And this moved a lot faster than Flightplan.

My favorite part, aside from the drop dead gorgeous Rachel McAdams...the drop dead gorgeous Rachel McAdams...the drop dead gorgeous Rachel McAdams...the drop dead gorgeous Rachel McAdams wielding a field hockey stick during a climactic battle with the bad guy, is that the climatic battle is a sly ode to/different take on the end of Wes Craven's Scream, right down to the ringing phone scaring the crap out of everyone. Come to think of it, phones play a pretty big role in this flick too.

Wes Craven, of course, directed Red Eye. It sounds incredibly egomaniacal, paying tribute to your movie less than 10 years after it was released, but Wes manages to do it almost every time out and it always works.

Anyone else see this and enjoy it as much as I did?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha! Had the same experience as you with this movie.

Never really cared to see it in the theater, but it was on HBO The Ocho one afternoon, and I started watching it (I can pick up and watch at any point of just about any movie. If I've never seen it and like it, I'll go back and watch it in full. Weird, I know.) ...

Came onto this one near the beginning. Rachel McAdams made me stop turning the channels. The film made me keep it on the same channel. (Well, Rachel did too. :D)

Very entertaining. Didn't think I'd like it, but I did.

Anyway, so yeah. ::)

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, this was one of those movies that I said "Hey that looks really good" but never saw. I always dig Wes Craven, and Rachel McAdams, well, hey, you know, I'd hit see it! :D But I rarely get to the movies, what with all the incessant advertising before the previews, the incessant previews, the fact I can "nourish" myself far cheaper at home and the fact that odds are there will be one douchebag there ruining it for everyone else.

But it's rare that a movie is as enjoyable as you'd hoped. This one had me barely moving a muscle for 90 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted