1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Dawn Alert -- Wolverines!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 5, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

On AMC now ...

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of all the patriotic, rah, rah, psuedo-war movies of the 1980's, this one is the most ludicrous of them all. Forget the whole "Russians invading the U.S." angle -- how about the entire army is held off by a few high school kid with hunting rifles.....give me a break.

I've always said, George Bush's biggest failure is that he sent the wrong people to Iraq. I mean, hell, we'd have won that war in about two weeks had we sent these kids from Red Dawn, General Braddock, John Rambo and John McLain

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Can we include the cadets in Taps (who held off the police department and Army for a while) in that list? :)

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And what about Steven Segal and JC Van Damme?

Or better yet, let's send JDV. He'd end the war in a week. Demonstrably. Provably.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Excellent addition.

"Take off that beret..."

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At what point did a network billing itself "American Movie Classics" begin showing fare fit for TBS?

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I mentioned that very same question to Mrs. Birdscribe -- an AMC honk if there ever was one -- last night.

Their definition of "classics" is displaying a "moral flexibility," to quote the intrepid Martin Blank from "Grosse Pointe Blank," a movie that if Red Dawn is aired, needs to show up there.

8. AMC gets its ass kicked, regularly, by TCM, which has all the real classics locked up.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd submit that "classic" is in the eye of the beholder.

Don't like the movie? Watch something else. Jeez.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Hell, I've seen Pinata Island on AMC on occasion.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

WHAT HE SAID! BIG TIME!

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At one time, AMC was better than TMC when it came to showing great movies. AMC didn't have Turner's financial backing to continue its original mission of restoring old movies and making "true" classics available to the cable/dish consumers.

So they pulled one of the biggest sell-out jobs of all-time. Worse, AMC gives no consideration to the flow of the movie when showing commercials, they'll just pop 'em in there any old time. AMC also massively cuts these movies to fit time slots too.

Draft saved Draft deleted