1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Barber heads-up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Feb 14, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Red Barber retrospective on NPR's Morning Edition tomorrow.
  2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

His 100th birthday would've been Sunday. Didn't realize he'd been dead more than 15 years already.
  3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

One of my proudest possessions is a note I got from Red Barber in '88 or '89, after I interviewed him for a story on the first night game, which he broadcast.
    The note was more than just "thanks for interviewing an old coot," it was obvious he'd really read the story, and then he took time to say what he liked about it.
    Incredibly gracious, decent.
    Hard to imagine Red on, say, the WWL.
  4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hard to imagine the ol' redhead in the cat-bird seat on any broadcast today.

The only one close to him is another redhead who learned it from the master himself.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember (in the pre-ESPN Classic days) of watching a tape of Game 7 of the 1952 World Series. I later told my dad about how Barber had such a pleasant voice to listen to.

And I miss the days of Scully and Joe G. broadcasting NBC's Game of the Week each Saturday.
  6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Along with Chick Hearn and Drysdale and Enberg doing the Angels, part of the soundtrack of my youth.

I remember hearing on the radio a retrospect on the 40th anniversary of Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard 'Round the World in which Barber was a featured part of the piece. He didn't sound too good then, but what he had to say was interesting, to say the least.
  7. spnited

spnited Active Member

This NPR link has a few Red classics:

Including "back, back, back, back" describing Gionfriddo's catch on DiMaggio in the '47 Series ... long before the fat piece of shit on ESPN plagiarized it.
  8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like Scully, NOT a self-promoting douche.

A vanishing species.
  9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Thanks, some great stuff.
    Edwards is on XM now, I wonder if he mentioned Barber?
Draft saved Draft deleted