1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Auerbach RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's going inside here. We have too much local today.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

aw, crap. another column loopy can do from his couch. he'll cry on sportsreporters in the a.m.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Mile High: Your thoughts are the point. Red needed hate. It was the only form of respect he believed in.

As for you how you play it. I got 10 bucks that say Red is a front-page below the fold Times obit tomorrow.

I hate blogger. And I guess I picked the wrong week to go drinking with an old college buddy.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a shame. A legend. The Michael Jordan of coaching.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, he did. He reveled in it. His tweaking of Phil Jackson was *shudder* great. It's amazing how time bypasses greatness and legends become "back in the day" geezers. No, we should remember it. Respect it. Embrace it.

That said, I'm not going to have a cigar tonight. But the game, sports overall, has lost a legend. Again, RIP.

6. Michael_ Gee

Dear Mile High: There was a cigar in my tuxedo left over from my niece's wedding in June. I just lit it.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It has to go inside here, too. We'll give it a nice refer on the front, and blow it out on the back page.

If it happens Monday, it goes out front. Hell, even if it happens tomorrow, it goes out front. But not today. Sadly.

8. Frylock

Frylock Member

My headline:
    Close, but no cigar. Red's dead.

9. Michael_ Gee

One more note for the tombstone.
    Red Auerbach was the first man to put five black guys on the court in an NBA game. He was the last man to put five white guys on the court, too,
    Red was the Reader's Digest version of Adam Smith, Enlighened self-interest, baby!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not funny, and I don't mean that in a take-offense context. I mean it just isn't funny.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So it's too soon to make Red Auerbach jokes? ;D ::) ::)

The truly awful poor taste headline would have been if someone had written: "Up in a puff of smoke: Red's dead"

12. Michael_ Gee

I ordinarily would never go to a big-time sports funeral, This is Red. I gotta.
    I'm not sure I'm making my point here. Red was my childhood enemy. Now my childhood is gone,

Draft saved Draft deleted