1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recycling rainwater a crime?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Could be, at least in Washington State.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/371529_rain21.html

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who lives in Colorado has dealt with this for years, and she's not happy about it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can have my rainwater when you pry it out of my cold, clammy pickle barrels!

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That is absolutely outrageous. Now we have laws governing the world's natural resources? Give me a break.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but that law is all wet.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

If recycling rainwater has become a crime, how do you explain the growing number of solar panels and use of solar electricity? And, no, there is no difference between sunlight and water in such as case as this.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes there is.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

How so? I don't disagree with you and my comment was purely without research, but I don't understand how people can use sunlight basically "without permission" and then needing permission to use water which is another natural resource.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some places water is scarce.

If the city is expecting rainwater to run through pipes and eventually into a water treatment facility for the town's drinking water and people are collecting it off their roofs, you're making personal use of a finite amount of water.

Obviously, a barrel is not a big deal but if you build a large cistern, that can collect a lot of water.

If you put up a solar panel on your roof, it's not like that beam of sunlight was going to the city's solar panel.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's true. I didn't think about places where water restrictions are strict.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Something -- oh, living there two years -- tells me there ain't a problem with Washington running out of rain anytime soon.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's stupid to write stories about rarely enforced laws as if you might be committing some crime -- unless its your intention to write about silly laws on the books.

Draft saved Draft deleted