1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recruiting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 5, 2007.

?

How do you feel about the expanded coverage of high school recruiting

Poll closed Feb 9, 2007.
  1. Love it; can't get enough

9.5%
  2. Hate it; more work for me and get a damn life people

71.4%
  3. Doesn't bother me either way.

19.0%
  1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I haven't followed recruiting for long - perhaps two years, at most - and only follow it locally, not nationally, but I think that the allure of following recruiting is seeing players who are ranked highly either pan out or not. That's just something that intrigues me, though - if I could, I think I'd like to actually be the recruiting coach for a school.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wasn't there a college hoops coach that did this too? Bobby Knight perhaps?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that was Damon Bailey.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-roughrecruiting020507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Great story about the Bowdens.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My take on recruiting is this:

1. Many of the rivals writers disgust me because of how far up the head coach's ass their noses are. They know that if the coach cuts them off, they're toast.

2. We give it some attention. Not a ton, but some.

3. The thing that baffles me about those geeks who follow recruiting religiously is that they often are looking at the 2009 class without really even caring how the 2007 team performs. It's really baffling.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sounds like Ivan Renko redux.

I voted hate it. Get a life, people. Pine for your school to get a good coach.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks to the FWAA, I've got a free Rivals membership. So I surf around different team sites, reading the recruiting gurus' work.

Last week, one of them posted that he was talking to the recruiting coordinator of the school he covers. During the conversation, this guru said "I told him I don't know why they haven't offered a scholarship to (some kid whose name I don't remember). I told him I thought the kid deserved an offer."

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

hated covering it. hate reading about it.

the one thing i think should change about recruiting coverage is that until the letter is signed on signing day, every single recruiting committment story should prominently feature the disclaimer that verbal committments carry zero weight and are subject to - and often do - change on the whim of a 17-year-old kid's mind.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It's tough to say "It doesn't mean anything so it shouldn't be covered" because even though it seems like there are a lot of kids who change their minds, there are also 95 percent of them who stick with their initial verbal. So it is newsworthy, so long as you disclaim it.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Recruiting of football prospects is often worthless for so many reasons.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Exactly... recruiting geeks always look ahead and want to know where their class is ranked, but never stop to see, ya know -- PERFORMANCE -- down the road...

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

Is it signing day yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted