1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recruiting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 5, 2007.

?

How do you feel about the expanded coverage of high school recruiting

Poll closed Feb 9, 2007.
  1. Love it; can't get enough

9.5%
  2. Hate it; more work for me and get a damn life people

71.4%
  3. Doesn't bother me either way.

19.0%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does it make your job tougher? Can you get enough?
    Do you laugh at people so consumed by it that they feel the season is lost by not getting a recruit they have never seen play?
    With letter of intent day coming up... what do you think?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I voted love it. Personally, I don't give a crap.

But at some point we need to give the readers what they want, not what makes our job easier or more pleasant.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Question wasn't about the readers; it was about your personal feelings... ;)

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't mind it. It's part of the job, after all, and something our readers enjoy. But each year that passes, there is a part of me that feels weirder and weirder about obsessing over where high school kids are going to college.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fine with me. Recruiting has been a cottage industry for probably 50 years now in the South.

When the kid commits, do the story then. As long as he doesn't change his mind, send the photog out on the morning of signing day for the ol' grip and grin, and you can sleep the sleep of the just — because your job is long done.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're the reason newspapers are doomed. I shoulda known.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretty much, yeah...

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I just hate bothering the kids because I know they're getting calls almost every night from Rivals and Scout plus their hometown newspapers and probably some stray independent sites, as well.

I understand why people care, though, because I'm the same person who obsesses over Baseball America's top 30 prospect guide on my leisure time. Sports is more enjoyable when you're an aggressive rather than a passive spectator.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Most of the time I don't mind it, but it does get annoying when coaches you know and trust as one of "good guys" are torn to shreds on online message boards by random idiots. What did he do? A kid from his school reneged on his commitment after a coaching change.
    And the kid who just made a decision for what was best for him over the next four years is called everything under the sun as well.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fuck recruiting coverage.

I'm not talking about signing day coverage. I'm talking about "Johnny Tailback verbally commits to State U" stories back in September. All that should get is a brief, since it's non-binding and there's a very chance Little Johnny might change his mind in a few months.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I cover colleges and I do the basics -- verbals, signings and perhaps a story on a recruit or two if they're either big-time or local so I can go watch them play.

Beyond that, forget it. The douchenozzle fans all go running to those internet sites for that shit.

12. AFineLightBeer

AFineLightBeer New Member

Scout and Rivals are great sources of information. I think next week I'll go talk to stripper to get advice about my marriage.

Draft saved Draft deleted