1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recording phone calls on iPhone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by One Man Wolfpack, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to record a phone call using an iPhone? I typically just put it on speakerphone and record it that way, but in this day and age there's got to be an easier way. I've looked at some apps and they either seem like garbage, or merge your call with their toll-free number, meaning your number shows up as "Private" on caller ID.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I haven't found a good way aside from what you mentioned. If I can, I usually try to call from my desk phone and use a line splitter to record it.

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I use this and it works very well. If your audio recorder has a microphone jack, it works perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TP-7-Telephone-pick-up/dp/B000GU88CQ

Plug the cable into the jack - it's a standard connection, but there's also an adapter in the box - and fit the earpiece into your ear. There's a microphone on the outside of the earpiece that picks up the audio from your phone as you hold it to your ear.

It picks up the entire conversation, and the quality is very strong. I've used it for over a year and have yet to have a problem with it.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And as always, know your state's laws (and those of the person with whom you are speaking).

http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide

And it's a pretty good idea to know your employer's policy, too. Some places that dictate you must destroy all notes within a certain time frame also address similarly deleting/destroying electronic recordings at some point -- because that's what the lawyers tell them.

5. mlavieri

mlavieri New Member

I completely agree.

Just adding on. This may make it easier to see which states are one-party consent and which states are two-party consent:

Summary of Consent Requirements for Taping Telephone Conversations

6. WTFünke

WTFünke Member

I have an app on my iPhone that I just love. Cost me $10. It's just called "Record Phone Calls" pro edition. Here's a link talking about it: http://www.bizbest.com/best-app-to-record-calls-on-a-smart-phone/

Basically, you call a certain number -- I just put it in my phonebook as "RECORD" -- and then just click "add call" and ring up whomever you want. Hit merge and, after the call, the recording will be emailed right to you.

And, no, your number doesn't show up as private or anything.

I've had it for about a year now, and it's worked great. If someone calls you, you have to put them on hold for about 30 seconds. But that's really the only downside. I'd really recommend it.

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I have that app too. Big fan. A little tricky at first but great once you get the hang of it. It's awesome to have mp3s emailed to you as well.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just purchased the app. Thanks for the heads up!

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Set up a Google Voice number. Then you just need to enable settings to record a phone call. Do it each time for a podcast I run.

10. It only works for incoming calls, though.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I use CallTrunk. Fantastic cheap service, and it does not show up as an 800 number on Caller ID -- shows up as the number you're calling from.

12. onebigfella

onebigfella New Member

Rumple: I set up google voice. however, when i went to setting, i see nothing that allows me to enable recording a call. i'm baffled

Draft saved Draft deleted