1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recording from a cell phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Hey everyone,

I think there's already been a post that references this but I couldn't find it, so....

I have a RAZR2 cell phone and digital recorder. I need to do a lot of interviews over the phone in the next couple of months, and want to record them. Since the RAZR2 doesn't have a headphone input, it makes it harder to find what I need. Anyone have any suggestions about what I could use to record my conversations from the phone to the recorder?

Thanks a ton.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

http://www.nsa.gov/

Dial "3" for transcripts.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Doesn't it have a standard speakerphone function? I have a really low-level phone that does, and I've never had a problem turning it on and recording.

4. jps

jps Active Member

speakerphone.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I've got a cheap cellphone, but I've found that even without speakerphone, if you max the volume on the cell and hold the recorder to your ear* it picks up fine. I always find speakerphone tends to take away from the conversation -- makes people uneasy, less talkative.

* same one the phone is at

6. mellinger

mellinger New Member

Buy this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2141764

It's fantastic.

7. jps

jps Active Member

mell, guy doesn't have a way to plug anything in. that was kind of the whole starting point.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I did find an adapter for five bucks that I could plug into the charging dock on my phone, but the other end is too small. What mellinger suggested will work if I can find an adapter for my too-small plug.

EDIT: [/that's what she said]

That sounds retarded but I don't care enough right now to edit it....

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The plug goes into the digital recorder, which I'm assuming has a microphone plug. Nothing has to be plugged into the phone.

Heck, now that I've seen it -- and mellinger vouches for it -- I might get one myself. Just so it doesn't cause me to smash the earplug into my ear when I hold the phone tight.

10. jps

jps Active Member

well, my sorrys, then, mell. didn't look too close, just saw the adapter. thanks, joe.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

+1

It works on any phone, too, cell or landline. You put the earbud in your ear next to the receiver and it records the entire call. It plugs into the mic jack on your recorder. It's much smaller than any of those cellphone adapters, requires no power and works, like I said, on all phones.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Less confusingly, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Can't even count how many times somebody'd call me on my cell phone and I had to say, "Hold on. Can I get you back on my landline? I'm, uh, 'low on minutes.'"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted