1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recording apps for phones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shallow_gal, Jun 25, 2011.

1. shallow_gal

shallow_gal New Member

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but I have a Samsung Galaxy smart phone. I've been searching for an app to record phone interviews with little success. Any suggestions?

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Nope. I have a Droid 2 and for whatever reason no one has really made one. There are apps like Google Voice where when it is an incoming call it can be recorded. Problem is with Google Voice you get a different number and the quality is very bad.

I too thought with a good phone I would be able to record using some app. I had a Sony phone in college that just had a built in program that would record and it was a great tool to have.

3. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

I have a BlackBerry, and I use the Voice Recorder (Voice Notes) application that was pre-installed. Works great.

I assumed every smartphone had a voice recorder. Even the last two piece-of-crap phones I used had voice recorders. I'll sell you one of them for five bucks.

4. techster

techster New Member

I used the voice recorder pre-installed on my HTC Evo. I found the sound quality terrible, though, and tried some others out. I think Tape Machine on the Android Market is by far the best. They have a Tape Machine Lite if you want to just try it out. The recording quality is fantastic.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I use google voice and the other day as I was talking I dropped the phone from my ear and accidentally hit a few buttons and it said "this call is now being recorded." I have no idea what I hit. When I tried to recreate it I couldn't get it to work.

6. Ch.B

Ch.B New Member

A little off-topic, but I've found Google Voice also works as a bare-bones transcription service, especially for dictating audio notes in the field. Sound quality has to be high, and you can expect some errors but it does the trick. I use it when I'm reporting and want to get down a bunch of info without taking out my notepad, when I need to be watching something while taking notes or if I'm driving (with a bluetooth). I'll call my own Google Voice number and dictate a message. That way I'll have the audio recording and, most of the time, an intelligible transcript.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I use Livo Recorder Pro as my recording app. It works pretty well, with only a handful of crashes in the last two years. The caveat is that you need to be on speakerphone in order to record the other side of the conversation. I also use it as my default digital recorder - I can take an interview and immediately email the digital file to myself for review/storage.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I've got that on my BB, too. But how do you make a call and then go to the app to activate the Voice Recorder.

9. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

The Voice Recorder doesn't allow recording while a call is in progress.

I googled "recording conversations with blackberry' to see what's out there.
    http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=recording+conversations+with+blackberry&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Lots of results, not much help. But I'm sure there's some useful information in there somewhere if you dig.

Draft saved Draft deleted