1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Record Store Day 2014 Page Two

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Machine Head, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does it make me uncool that I have no idea who the hell Paul Weller is? And that, of the eight bands he's listed as being associated with on Wikipedia, the only one I've heard of is Oasis?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love The Jam but Weller doesn't seem to have a problem beating that to death by releasing yet another compilation or box set every other week.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

C'mon now.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

For my money "That's Entertainment" was the best song released in the 1980s.

Great live version here, very close to the superb one on Dig The New Breed....

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that does make you uncool.
    But that doesn't make you a bad person.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well at least I've got that going for me.
    I'm not familiar with the individual members of a lot of bands, especially ones that came and went 20 or 30 years ago, so I'm not surprised at myself for not having heard of him. I'm sure he's a great musician. But I figured if he was a big enough deal for his stance to mean something he'd have at least been part of a band that was well known on more than a "highly respected in the industry" level. At the very least, a guy with a solid catalogue who had one or two mainstream hits.
    As it is, I'm shrugging my shoulders. I've got nothin'. Those clips Songbird and Huggy posted are the first time I've heard him play.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

RSD is a hipster thing, so folks like Weller count for more than mainstream musicians within the RSD context.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And Weller is also a much, much bigger figure overseas than in the States.

Hit RSD today and came away happy. Missed out on the U2 and Foo records, but got the Johnny Marr single and Social Distortion remaster, along with a few others.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I too hit RSD, but passed on the special 45s ... selling for $8-10. I mean, a remastered version of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" is nice, but I'd rather buy a couple used LPs for the $7.95 they wanted for the RSD 45. So I did, along with the Neil Young/Crazy Horse "Live at the Fillmore East" CD.

Still, it was fun being among the hipsters/aging hipsters/local luddites who still enjoy vinyl (I'm in the latter group). Enjoyed chatting with some dude who plunked down $25 for an unopened, picture disc version of Tool's "Undertow" album. And Boots the Cat is a popular feline at our local record store, and he was getting as much attention as he could handle.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is Boots a back-door cat?

Draft saved Draft deleted