1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Record Store Day 2014 Page Two

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Machine Head, Apr 17, 2013.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Periscope in Champaign was a damn good record store that often held morning-after mini concerts with some of the groups that would come through town. I saw the hung over Bottle Rockets there one morning after catching the show the night before in Urbana.

When that store closed in 2000 (?), it was a sad day.

When the institution that was Streetside closed in Columbia, nobody shed a tear.

2. mr.westerberg

mr.westerberg Member

Man, I am a complete 180 from you. I could spend hours -- and close to $100 - - each month from mid-'80s through mid-'90s at record stores. Still like to haunt as many as I can when I travel. There are just 3 where I live now, but each has a good amount of product. Part of the allure for me is the same as going to a book store -- actually picking up the LP/CD/book, reading the back cover, looking at the vinyl, etc.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I miss record stores.

The local Barnes and Nobles have a music section in the back and when I wander in one of them, I feel like crying. Record stores are one of those things that I feel really shaped my life.

And now they're mostly gone.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yes, the choices and information available is light years beyond what it was in the old days I could spend hours on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon in the great record stores - chains and independent joints - that once populated Yonge St. in Toronto. Get away from the chaotic main area and find refuge in the imports, bootlegs or blues and jazz sections. I used to love to leaf through those massive Phonolog binders looking at what was new. Miss those days.

I worked at our local mall for a number of years and the guy who ran the record store - where I was a regular every payday - knew what i liked and would often give me new releases to take home and listen to. Those were the days.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Son of a bitch. I'm looking over the list of releases for tomorrow and starting to get pretty excited for a few of them. There's no way this ends well for me. I'm Charlie Brown, lining up to kick that football.

6. PCLoadLetter

And an update: there were two things I really wanted on the release list and a few I kinda wanted. Got the two I really wanted -- The Pogues live with Joe Strummer, and the Butch Walker 10" single. Also grabbed a pile of used CDs, and brought my 16 year old, who grabbed stuff by Metallica, Megadeth and Black Sabbath.

Great morning.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gotta love Jack White...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2014/04/19/jack-white-cuts-fastest-record-nashville/7909049/

9. PCLoadLetter

I used to find him a little off-putting -- he came across to me as someone trying a little too hard to be weird. I've totally come around on him. Cool guy, monstrously talented. I'd highly recommend the documentary "It Might Get Loud," with Jack, The Edge, and Jimmy Page. Very interesting look at the three guys, who all come across very well.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Artists, do your part and sell it, like the Pixies did. For the day, they threw in a 7-inch single with the purchase of their new LP.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Verbatim.

It was the documentary that pushed me from "I like his music..." to "I like him..."

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Here's the link I should have included in my previous post:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

Jack White on RSD:

Could do without the hashtag dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted