1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Record Store Day 2014 Page Two

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Machine Head, Apr 17, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Re: Record Store Day 2013 4/20/2013

Once again, I got excited for Record Store Day.

Once again, I left swearing I wasn't going to waste my time with this bullshit again.

Went to three stores. Store one is the big local record "chain", with 3 or 4 stores in town. Packed to the gills with hipster pantloads. One fat guy with bed head was whining that they didn't have new releases on cassette. All I really wanted was the Three O'Clock live album. Turns out they took all of their stock of that record from their stores and took it to Coachella to sell at their booth. Good call -- saving it for their loyal supporters at a festival 300 miles from their nearest store. Everything else from Coachella artists seemed to be missing, too. I ended up with the live REM EP and left.

There were two other local stores that aren't part of that chain that were listed on the Record Store Day website as participating. Went to one -- it no longer exists. Went to the other, and it was so packed I didn't even walk in.

Screw Record Store Day.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I haven't been to a proper record store in eons. I can't say I have many nostalgic feelings for the experience. I don't miss going into a store, trying to find something cool and being limited by the owners/operators taste in music as to what's available in stock. I don't miss the bootleg section and it's inflated prices of shitty live recordings. I don't miss the drone of some shitty metal band being blasted over the speakers by the 300-pound tattooed clerk.

Everything is better now. Choices are infinite. Delivery of the product is fast. If you want to research an album or song before buying, it's so damn easy. Sound quality, despite audiophiles howling in disagreement, is still pretty damn good.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My parents owned a record store when I was born up until I was about 3. They bought it when they got married a bit more than two years before I was born. Made a good living at it the first few years. Around the time I was 2, a big-box store opened up. As a ploy to get people in their store they were selling LPs for less than my parents could buy them. We were out of business within a year. The big-box store didn't last but maybe 10 years. Fuckers.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Been to Electric Fetus in Minny. I think I bought the Superfly soundtrack there among other things.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This year:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/

New releases from the Pixies and R.E.M.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Pogues live album and Butch Walker single are probably enough to pul me into the store and then piss me off when they don't have them.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw the Pogues live twice, both times with Shane McGowan. Fucking epic.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We have a neat little indie record store/coffee shop that's made it 11 years now. Owner's pretty cool dude who stocks a good mix of new and used vinyl and CDs that appeal both to old farts like me that show up maybe once every other month and the college crowd that is the backbone of his business. Last time we were in there, he was playing a new vinyl copy of "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out," reminding me once again what a kickass live band the Stones were back in the day. We'll be there on the 19th to see what's up.

9. Machine Head

That's the spirit! :D

(You saw the dates, right?)

10. Machine Head

This is what I'll be looking for in the bargain bins:

Joan Osborne could cover this and nail it.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm ready to dive in and get a LP player.

Suggestions?

12. Machine Head

Audiokarma.org. Best place to do research. Figure out what fits your needs.

Budget?

Manual or auto return?

Receiver? Separates or something like a Marantz 22XX series?

Speakers?

It's all tied together.

Draft saved Draft deleted