1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Record hate mail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by azom, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Shootist

Shootist Guest

I agree with this in theory, although sometimes I think it's helpful to understand who your audience is. In this case, my audience was probably the 400 people who already saw the game anyway. We cover those games not because the readership at large wants its high school girls soccer news, but because the players and parents of the players want to see their kids' names in print.

In this instance, I would say it's not worth making a group of readers hate me and my paper just to make a word picture out of something they probably saw as it happened, especially because the incident wasn't an integral part of the outcome of the game.

I definitely agree that it was fair game. And I don't feel bad about doing it. But I think, big picture, it didn't need to be in the story. You gotta pick you spots on things like that.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

My record came this past Easter, when I had just over 300 before the end of the day. In total, the number of emails in response to the column -- one a particular college football coach -- topped out around 600 or so. I didn't count 'em all, but I know there were more than 12 pages of 50 emails per page. Some were replies to emails I had returned.

Don't ever apologize for having an opinion. If you're writing a column, that's what you're expected to present -- your thoughts on a particular subject. And creating a dialogue between yourself and your readers isn't bad. When the emails, letters and phone calls come in, sit your ass down and reply. Don't back down, but answer their questions. Nine times out of 10, you'll get this response: "I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue, but I respect you for at least replying to my email and taking time to answer my questions. Thanks." And you've just created a loyal reader.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I feel lucky to get as many as three e-mails period about anything I've written. It's a constant battle to get even one letter to the editor a week in my paper.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I got a few grumbles - including a letter to the editor which the paper ran - after I called NASCAR's idea of safety a joke. In the South, most fans walk around with the idea that the organization is infallible, so any criticism tends to bring out the pitchforks and torches.

I also got a few after a university was kind enough to let another use their facility, then trashed it after the school pulled off a huge upset. Problem is, said host school was known for trashing places as a road team. Called them on it ... got some support, while the fanboys wanted me dead.

Still stuck on one death threat in a restaurant ... that was one to remember.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

amazing, and mom and dad are still proud. probably telling the story over potato salad as we "speak."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, It's kind of a bush league move, and the idea of the column is legit, but the other team doesn't have to agree do they?

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

not sure how that works. would be interesting to find out. maybe the other coach agreed to it being moved, so he could they that team at its best?

8. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Got about 100 for a column I wrote last season the day after the Oklahoma-Oregon and LSU-Auburn games. The premise was simple, teams lose games not officials. If the losing teams had played better they would've won, so please stop crying about the bad calls. I had been dying to write that for ever and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Since most came from Oklahoma and LSU fans, you can imagine they were pretty nasty. Though come to think of it, I'm counting responses and not just negative responses. I had about a dozen or so who agreed with what I wrote, though most of them came from Alabama and Oregon, as you'd suspect.

I replied to some.

Some notable responses to what I wrote:
    _ One simpleton accused me of being the type of liberal lefty who blamed the United States and the victims of 9/11 for the terrorist attacks. So he was equating Oklahoma's victim status to those of 9/11. Nice.
    This was the only guy I struck back at. Called him the biggest idiot on the planet or something like that. I was dying to tell him I voted for Bush twice, but just couldn't bring myself to lie about that.

_ The funniest by far, a person wrote in all caps and big type _ MAY YOU SPEND ETERNITY BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS BY A ZEBRA. That made me laugh and I wrote back to tell him so.

_ The most interesting criticism came from a newspaper in Big 12 country _ not Oklahoma _ that basically made me the geek of the week or something like that. Maybe it was dumb comment of the week. Very professional of them to trash another writer.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Every week, I receive at least one e-mail from somebody who said they sent a youth soccer or youth baseball write-up that didn't make it into the paper.
    Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Damned if I can tell the difference between the U12A Kickers and the U11B Kickers and the U5C Methodist Marxist Lenninists Against Whaling in Poland Kickers.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, U5C Methodist Marxist Lenninists Against Whaling in Poland Kickers are going to have a solid team if they can shore up their midfield.

11. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Got 27 after the college I cover lost in the D3 Final Four, most saying the gamer should have been complimentary and that pointing out the two best players were a combined 7-for-35 from the floor was a cheap shot.

Got 15 more in the last two days about a column advocating that Michelle Wie go hide for six months.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love hearing this.

My response normally is, "Sure the officials cost you this game, but can you tell me all the games won for you? Surely there has been a time where you were totally outclassed on the field and a little homecooking got you the much needed win, right?"

That always works.

I have coached, written and blown a whistle in my career, and I have never had anyone say their team has won a few games because of the refs.

Gotta love John Q. Public.

Draft saved Draft deleted