1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Record for D1 transfers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 22, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

From my former paper in Florence, Ala., home of Division II North Alabama, a perennial top 10 football team.....

"Frazier is the 22nd player from a Division I program to transfer to UNA since Bowden became coach in January."

I knew Terry Bowden had brought a boat load of transfers to the team, including a bunch from Florida State, obviously, but 22? That's incredible.

Has anyone ever heard of or covered a team with so many D1 transfers in such a short period of time?

2. Two years ago when California (Pa.) made their run to the national semifinals, they had 17 on the roster, but I'm pretty sure they didn't all come in during the same year.

Check out all of the fully-funded DII powerhouses, I'm sure they have a bunch. I can think of Abilene Christian, Delta State, Grand Valley State, Ashland (Ohio) off the top of my head that usually have a lot.

Just a thought.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not a surprise - I'm sure Bowden put the word out to coaches that he's got an open door if any of their players are getting run off.

4. JackReacher

Definitely not a surprise he's getting a bunch of transfers. But 22? That's a TON.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Talked to him a couple of weeks ago... has two starters back on offense, so he needed to make a quick fix -- even for him..

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The next question is how many of the 22 had pending legal issues at the time of their departures from the higher levels.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest that keeping an eye on the Florence, Ala., police docket might be prudent.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Indiana State brought in almost that many before the 2004 season, the first time ISU's then-skin-flinty administration allowed them to.

They started 4-1 that year ... and are 1-50 since. Buyer beware.

9. JackReacher

Good point. Apparently, a kid from NC State is starting at QB with a FSU transfer backing him up. Throwing to one of FSU's best receivers from last year.

The list is long and distinguished.....

(10 points to the first person to finish that quote.)

10. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

yeah, so's my johnson.

11. JackReacher

close, but not quite. (the quote, I mean).

12. John

John Well-Known Member

yeah, and so is my johnson.

Isn't the D-II scholarship limit 36? It will be interesting to see if Bowden keeps this up each year. I never got the impression that the local folks really cared about who was playing as long as the Lions keep winning.

Draft saved Draft deleted