1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend iPhone apps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

There are ringtone apps that create ringtones out of your own music library.

As for apps that I use regularly, I recommend one called HT Recorder for doing interviews, 2Do which is a fancy to-do list (that syncs with your iOS devices), and PhotoForge2 for doing advanced editing with photos I take.

Don't download the app for your local radio station. Download TuneIn Radio as it can access any radio station which streams online.

Google Maps is good but I bought Navigon years ago and still use it because it does GPS with turn-by-turn voice without needing to use mobile data.

Banking, your cell provider and likely your insurance company all have apps.

Oh and get Golfshot GPS for $30 instead of a $400 SkyCaddy. Does just as well.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Couple that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Shazam: you open the app, let it listen to a song and it will tell you the song and artist.

Tapped Out: If you're a Simpson fan, it's pretty cool. You basically create your own Springfield.

Song Pop: It's the same thing you play on Facebook. Trying to guess songs quicker than your friends.

Ruzzle: It's basically Boggle. You get a bunch of letters and try to make more words than your friends.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Second the recommendations for MLB At Bat (worth every single penny) and DirectTV (to set your DVR away from home or watch shows on-demand.) Kindle app is great, although I prefer iBooks on both the phone and iPad.

A couple I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Overdrive allows you to download e-books from your local library (or any library from which you have a card.)

I use the Photoshop Express app frequently to brighten or crop any photos I take from my phone and want to post to Twitter/Facebook.

Baseball-Reference.com doesn't have an app, but if you access their mobile site thru Safari on your phone it will give you a bookmark that you can put on your phone's desktop just like any other app.

My wife and I use the OurGroceries app all the time, adding whatever we think about for the next grocery run to the list which is synced to both of our iPhones. Also love the AllRecipes.com Dinner Spinner app (it's sometimes free, sometimes not) for ingredient-buying ideas.

If you do use rewards cards from stores, the CardStar app allows you to store most of them in your phone so you don't have to go digging in your wallet for them at checkout.

The AroundMe app is a cheap knockoff of a Google Maps app, but it comes in handy when I'm looking for categories of a place nearby such as gas stations or coffee shops.

GateGuru is a nice travel app that gives you the layout and store directory of most major airports in the country, along with some other features.

You know what game I freaking love on the iPhone? NBA Jam. It's perfectly sized and suited for the phone and a touchscreen. You can unlock dozens of the original players from the early '90s, plus the Beastie Boys, Stickmen, Bird/Magic, all the turbo privileges, etc. It's often on sale for 99 cents (I think I've seen it for free, too), and when I need a few minutes to veg out and go en fuego on somebody, it's great.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Love the Overdrive app to get library books.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

GasBuddy - locate the cheapest gas prices near you

Flashlight - turns the LED flash on your iPhone into a flashlight (I use this quite a bit)

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What I use the most it seems...

Facebook
    TheChive
    Epicurious
    InRix Traffic
    Speedtest
    Amazon
    Craigslist
    TMZ
    Shutterfly
    CBSSports
    NBC12 Weather
    Tivo - I have a thing hooked to my Tivo that allows me to stream recorded shows to me Ipad and Iphone
    XFinity player
    MOG
    The WeaterChannel
    Food Netwrok On The Road
    WootStar
    Amazon local
    RotoWorld Fantasy News

And my daughter has about 30-35 that she plays.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Some of these have already been mentioned.

Ruzzle: Great little puzzle game that's basically Boggle.

Scrabble: Good version of the classic game. What I like about Ruzzle and Scrabble is that you can play both against random opponents instead of just your friends or the computer. Means you can always find a game.

I Heart Radio, Tune In Radio and Pandora: I Heart Radio has every Clear Channel station in the country. Tune In seems to have the rest. Between the two of them, and Pandora, you'll never be hurting for music again. I think you can also download some podcasts over the Tune In app.

Podcasts: If you have the newer version of iOS, you need to download it to listen to podcasts. It's free.

The Weather Channel: Good weather app.

ESPN Scorecenter: Probably the best scoreboard app there is. Live updates and you can configure it for just the teams and leagues you want

Fandango: Even if you don't use it to buy movie tickets, seeing showtimes in a flash for just about any theater in the country is a wonderful tool

Draft saved Draft deleted