1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend iPhone apps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 29, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

MLB At Bat is the greatest Internet invention ever.

For freebies, I have been playing this puzzle game called 4 Pics 1 Word -- great time-killer.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have the chess app. Another good one for use on trains and planes.

Actually Garage Band's sampler is great for that. I've sampled the ambient sound on a plane or train many times and used to to make goofy tracks.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Oh, and if you fly a lot you can get the apps for the airlines and for many of them get an e-ticket on your phone. Very convenient.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Speaking of travel, I like Kayak's app but do not like Priceline's.
    I use Priceline a lot, but the app sucks.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If you download Netflix or Pandora, make sure you have a charger with you. Netflix kills your battery.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

7 Little Words

I'm going to do an App purge this weekend. I have a lot on my pad and phone I don't use. Being able to set my DVR when away from home is huge because I always forget. I like my Kindle and Nook apps a lot.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Fuck Me Life (FML) app is pretty cool for a little humor. And I would imagine pretty much any radio station outside your listening area has an app so you can listen on your phone.

The pain about iPhones is that you can't just add a ringtone; you have download it, then put it on your phone through iTunes. And I would love to see a freqposter contribution to this thread.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How do you do that? DirecTV app, I assume?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I didn't think anyone over the age of 25 used ringtones that didn't come with the phone.

But yeah, Dick. DirecTV app is awesome. Has saved me a lot of anger more than a few times.

10. Moderator1

DirecTV for Richmond, FIOS for here. Jesus I need to simplify.

You load the app and log in with whatever email/password you set up for your site. Then it is simple. Buttons for remote, programming, DVR, etc. You put cursor over a program and click "record." And it records. Pretty sure you can now watch DirecTV through the app, though I haven't done it.

HBOTOGO is gold, too.

11. Moderator1

As for ringtones, I haven't done anything with the iPhone. I had a Foo Fighters song as ringtone on my Droid. It came on the radio once and I about wrecked looking for the phone.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I figure if I want to hear a particular song, I can download it and listen to it anytime I want in full.

To each his own, though.

I so rarely talk on the phone anymore, the regular phone ring works for me. There's really nothing worse than talking on the phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted