1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend iPhone apps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm such a novice when it comes to mobile technology. I have an iPhone, but had an epihany this morning when I had to scan and email something, and battled my phone scanner for an hour before saying, "I bet I can download a scanner app on this iPhone." Voila. My document was on its way in five minutes.

So tell me some more great apps for the iPhone. Beyond Twitter, Facebook, and Gmail, I pretty much have nothing.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I haven't really seen or used any of the latest iPhones, so I don't know if they work this way, but on my Samsung I love the apps that also feature widgets. The widgets are basically little boxes that let the app function without opening it. I can scroll through the New York Times headlines or the latest posts on Twitter or Facebook without opening those apps.

As for apps I use, if you are a DirecTV customer get that one. Yelp is good. I have one called Swiss Army Knife that has a calculator, stop watch, compass, level, unit converter, flashlight and other stuff all in one spot. Redbox if you are out and want to know if a certain movie is at a box nearby, GoogleDrive, Yahoo Sportactular (also a good widget you can set so the scores of the teams you care about are handy), TuneIn Radio, Flipboard, Kindle.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For iPad, I have the Kindle and Nook apps.
    I use Amplitube, VocaLive, Garage Band and Music Studio for recording. There's a cool app called Audiobus that let's you integrate recoding apps, but I have a gen1, so I can't use it.

I use the weather app. Occasionally the alarm app.
    Yelp, Flavortown and Around Me.
    Evernote.
    Fandango is useful, and Flashlight.

I have many more, but those are the ones I use a lot.

4. Dick Whitman

Wow, awesome. Did not know I could link my Kindle content to my iPhone.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Netflix and Hbo Go are great, but I don't use them a lot. Come in handy if you're killing time at airport.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bovada
    Whatever app your city uses for downtown parking (ParkMobile for me)
    Fandango
    StubHub
    TuneIn Radio
    ESPN ScoreCenter
    The Weather Channel

7. Dick Whitman

The fact that this little pocket device can do all of these things, as I've said before, is why I'm constantly baffled when I see iPhones frequently demonized as the modern-day welfare queen extravagance.

You've seen it before. Someone on Facebook posts something like: "Saw a 400-pound woman on food stamps today at the grocery store. Talking on her iPhone!111"

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Atlantic's app is pretty great and I wear Pandora out for music.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but she was probably using the StubHub app to try to secure $1,300 Prince concert tickets from someone. :D

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Spotify - music
    Dropbox and Google drive - file management and storage
    Gilt - shopping (vintage Rolexes at 50% off yesterday)
    Valetmag and Gear Patrol and Uncrate - browsing cool gadgets and clothes
    Strava - cycling maps
    Convertbot - mph to kph, acres to square miles, feet to meters, pounds to stones

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

-- Fandango
    -- ESPN ScoreCenter, but be sure to configure it with your favorite teams. You can get updates pretty frequently, too much if you set it up with a lot of teams.
    -- Fahernheit weather app: I like it because it shows the temp on my homescreen. Other probably do too, but this was the one I found first that I liked.
    -- Kindle
    -- IMDB just because I like to be able to find out lots of movie stuff quickly
    -- Google Chrome because I hate the Safari browser, and if you synch Chrome at home with your Google account, you can access your bookmarks on your phone.
    -- SkyView is cool for checking out stars
    -- Goodreads if you're into that
    -- Whatever pharmacy you use, check to see if they have an app (if it's a local one, you may have to ask at the store). For a lot of them now, you can scan a bar code on your bottle and get refills through the app.
    -- Redbox
    -- Google Maps -- far superior to Apple
    -- Shutterfly if you take lots of pics. Set up and account and you can upload the photos to the web easily and don't have them clogging up your phone.
    -- If you play fantasy sports on Yahoo, there's likely an app you can use to keep track of your team. Same with ESPN.
    -- Yelp
    -- Urbanspoon
    -- AP Mobile
    -- CNN
    -- Your bank probably has an app, and a lot by now offer the feature where you can deposit checks through the app just by taking a photo of the front and back of it.
    -- Shazam for when you can't remember or don't know the name of that damn song you keep hearing
    -- Netflix (esp. for iPad since the screen is bigger)
    -- Ditto with HBO Go if you subscribe to HBO
    -- Open Table for making reservations
    -- The Tulsa World, for the best news in Oklahoma (not that I'm biased because I work here or anything)

And there are a bunch of games that are fun wastes of time.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have AP and ESPN Score Center, but I don't use them much.
    I have eBay and Craig's List, but don't use them much. Sometimes I like to check out prices for used guitars, pianos, etc., but most of the time I do that one the computer.
    I have IHeartRadio but have never used it.

For fantasy sports, I have Fantasy Monster, but I really don't use it.

I have Bovada, but I haven't been betting much the last few years. On those few occassions when I do, I'm more likely to use my computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted