1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend a deep cut

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2011.

1. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I don't know if these qualify as deep cuts, but I suspect most people haven't heard of them or overlook them in favor of other songs by these artists:

Bruce Springsteen, "Lift Me Up"
    The Decemberists, "Sons and Daughters"
    Foo Fighters, "The Last Song"
    George Harrison, "If Not For You"
    Iron and Wine, "Love Vigilantes"
    Jaymay, "Gray or Blue"
    Mirah, "Sweepstakes Prize"
    Otis Redding, "Tennessee Waltz"
    Rolling Stones, "Moonlight Mile"
    She & Him, "Change Is Hard"
    Tom Petty, "The Apartment Song"
    U2, "Original Of The Species"

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

Ooops, I thought this thread was about newspaper salaries. Glad it isn't. Carry on.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ween -- "Mister Would You Please Help My Pony."

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The mention of "Rockin' Around With You" - a great Tom Petty song - brought to mind my fave deep cut of TP's, "A Thing About You" from Hard Promises. "King's Road" was a great rocker from that album too.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My favorite TP deep cuts are "When the Time Comes" (on a very early album) and "The Apartment Song" from Full Moon Fever.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Probably debatable whether any Stones song qualifies as a deep cut. Although perhaps so, since a lot of casual rock radio fans probably know them as merely a hit-maker.

Almost everything on "Exile on Main Street" qualifies, but in particular "Rocks Off," "Torn and Frayed," and (most of all) "All Down the Line."

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

My favorite TP deep cut: "Deliver Me" from Long After Dark.

And you can parlay that if you want with the very next song on the album, "Change of Heart".

8. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

lucero's last november...available only on the import version of "that much further west".

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Love all three of those songs, but to your point, not sure they would qualify for deep cut status. Certainly not 'Rocks Off', the opening song of the album.

I'll try a couple that could qualify

'Child of the Moon', the b side to JJ Flash.

'High Wire', a studio song from the live album, Flashpoint. Since it was released as a single, maybe more a forgotten cut than a deep cut. In any event, well worthy of a download.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

A hugely underrated album cut/B side, as is "Ask Me Why."

Draft saved Draft deleted